Feels like: 15°F
Thursday, Nov. 20, 2014
Fougerousse, Karazsia join exclusive clubPosted Thursday, January 17, 2013, at 5:48 PM
Linton-Stockton's twin towers -- Dess Fougerousse and Austin Karazsia -- are both making their marks in the Miner basketball record books.
Earlier this season, the 6-5 Fougerousse eclipsed 1,000 points in his Miner career.
Fougerousse scored 243 points this season, an average of 20.3. This now gives him a total of 1,145 points.
He also has dished out 54 assists in 12 games so far, making is career total 256, which is the most all-time by a Miner boys basketball player. To be honest, I am not sure whose record he broke for assists.
The 6-8 Karazsia became the latest member of the Miner 1,000-point club when he scored 23 points in a win over Vincennes Rivet on Jan. 11.
Karazsia, who has scored 248 points for of an average of 20.7 this year, now has 1,004 for his career.
With JT Yoho of Eastern Greene and Tyler Talpas of Union eclipsing the 1,000-point plateau last season, this gives the area four new members of the 1,000-point club in the past two seasons, making Fougerousse and Karazsia No. 63 and 64 in the area to achieve such a feat.
Scott Poe is the all-time leading scorer in Miner history with 1,284, which means that Fougerousse needs just 139 points to take over the top spot in Linton-Stockton history, which ranks 22nd all-time.
In the history of area hoops, I would venture to say that has not happened very often.
What would be even rarer would be to have teammates to reach that milestone in the same season.
I am not sure what the Miner record is single-season field goal percentage, but Karazsia would have to be making a run at the record.
He has made 93 of 127 attempts in 2012-13, a .732 clip. Karazsia, not known for his long distance prowess, has made 3 of 5 shots from 3-point range as well.
I don't remember AK making a trey before this season, but he looks very comfortable shooting from long distance.
I was just reading a book talking about great shooters. One of their goals is the almost unreachable 40-50-90 -- shooting 40 percent from 3-point range, 50 percent overall and 90 percent from the foul line.
It has only been done a handful of times in NBA history.
Karazsia easily has the 40 and 50, but is shooting a paltry .819 from the foul line (Ha! Ha!). He has made 59 of 72 foul shots and has been one of the best in the area throughout his career.
The Miners are shooting a very respectable 70.8 percent as a team and 33 percent from 3-point range.
Fougerousse is averaging 8.4 rebounds per game and Karazsia is pulling down 8.1 on average. Both have over 600 career boards.
Speaking of accuracy, Fougerousse is shooting 52.5 percent overall and 39 percent from 3-point range.
As a team, the Miners' opponents are shooting just 36 percent and scoring 48.4 points per game. They also are outrebounding opponents by eight per game but have forced five less total turnovers than they have committed.
What does it all mean? So far it has translated into 10 wins in 12 games to begin the season and a place in the top 10 among Class 2A teams for Linton-Stockton.
It will be interesting to see how the final six weeks of the regular season plays out and what happens in the first weekend in March.
Karazsia was recently named Academic All-State by the Indiana Football Coaches Association for the 2012 season.
B.J. Hargis is the sports editor at the Greene County Daily World. He can be reached at (812) 847-4487, ext. 12 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Scott Poe,1982 -- 1,284 points
2. *Dess Fougerousse, 2013 -- 1,145 points
3. Dane Perigo, 1999 -- 1,136 points
4. Dwayne Phipps, 1974 -- 1,127 points
5. Larry Simmons, 1977 -- 1,102 points
6. Josh Hall, xxxx -- 1,016 points
7. *Austin Karazsia, 2013 -- 1, 004 points
8. Rick Crynes, 1974 -- 1000 points
9. Max Woolsey, xxxx -- 1,000 points
Comments have been disabled for this blog post.
Hot topicsMiners and Falcons have no post season history, but have played six times previously
(0 ~ 6:54 PM, Nov 13)
Spikers from BHS, WRV left a lasting impression
Davis dealing with more than running
Tidbits about cross country, tennis, volleyball and football
To early to tell about my Pacers