By WRV senior Ashley Epperson
Overall the sanitation in a home kitchen is not used or used poorly.
Some people come in from work and start cooking without putting their hair up, washing their hands, or wearing an apron.
It is very important to have good hygiene when it comes to hair. People do not realize how dirty hair is. Hair gets dust particles in it. The dust particles cause the hair to be itchy. This causes them to scratch their head. Them scratching their head causes loose hair to fall in the food. In order to keep food hair free, hair needs to be up in a clip or hair tie.
Having clean hands is a part of having good hygiene. It is very important that people wash their hands before they start cooking. Most people do not wash their hands properly.
The steps to properly wash hands are as follows:
• First, wet hands with either warm or cold water.
• Second, apply the soap to a cupped hand.
• Third, lather hand with soap well.
• Fourth, rub hands palm to palm fast, scrub the back of the hands, wrists, between your fingers, and under the fingernails for at least twenty seconds.
• Fifth, rinse well. Sixth, dry your hands with a clean towel.
• Lastly, use the clean towel to turn off the water.
Contamination and germs on clothing is a concern also. People should use an apron, but most do not. This helps keep food off and from staining clothes. Wearing an apron helps keep the germs from the clothes from spreading.
This all probably sounds like this is just for germaphobes, but it is telling people the importance of clean food.
“The Right Way to Wash Your Hands.” Mayo Clinic, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education
and Research, 10 Jan. 2018,
“Cleaning and Sanitizing.” Food Safety,
Ashley is a senior at White River Valley High School, attending Betsy Misner’s FACS class. In her free time, Ashley likes to cook, particularly cookies, cakes, meats and vegetables. From time to time, Ashley also enjoys babysitting and hanging out with her friends.