White River Valley High School Family and Consumer Science students are working hard.
The Introduction to Culinary and Hospitality students recently worked with the high school cafeteria and the result was outstanding. Students researched state guidelines that the cafeteria must follow, reviewed safety and sanitation practices for commercial kitchens, planned and prepared cafeteria meals that meet component regulations and worked in the cafeteria the week of March 11 to prepare school lunches. Here’s what their week looked like.
• Monday was huge hit: BBQ chicken with broccoli, baked beans, a roll, cherry crisp and pineapple.
• Tuesday students prepared hard or soft shell beef tacos with cheese and sour cream, jalapenos and onions, tomatoes, lettuce and grapes and apples.
• Wednesday was a FACS class favorite: Alfredo pasta and students could choose shrimp or chicken with spinach, peas, mixed berries and kiwi.
• Thursday was a multicultural day: Sweet ‘n sour chicken with sauteed peppers and onions, rice, mandarin oranges and strawberries.
• Friday made the halls smell like Subway: Ham sliders with spicy potatoes, pumpkin bars and fruit.
Mrs. Wiggington stated that the week of March 11 was the best week of the entire year and that Friday was the best day of the year with 50 percent of the student body participating. Introduction to Culinary and Hospitality students also enjoyed the benefits of working in the cafeteria.
Robyn enjoyed learning to use the big mixer, Emily stated that Martha and Tina were ‘so fun to work with’, Haven now understands the stress that comes with working in the cafeteria.
“I learned being a lunch lady is a lot harder that it looks,” she said.
“You have to follow so many guidelines and have to get food done as quickly as possible with it still being safe,” stated Cassidy.
There was so much positive feedback from the student body and we are already looking forward to doing the project again next year.
Introduction to Culinary and Hospitality students are Samantha Axe, Haven Baker, Robyn Barnett, Taylor Brashear, Cassidy Christy, Christiane Davis, Ashley Epperson, Emily Fish, Lexi Fulford, Audrey Gator, Selah Honeycutt, Courtney Murphy, Gabby Perkins, Abby Reynold and Kaleb Stoner.