High: 64°F ~ Low: 34°F
Sunday, Mar. 9, 2014
Goose Pond photo calendars would make good holiday giftsPosted Friday, October 30, 2009, at 4:00 PM
The holiday gift buying season is just around the corner and I've received word that the annual Goose Pond Fish and Wildlife Area (GPFWA) calendars are hot off the press and ready for purchase.
The 2010 calendars, produced by the Friends of the Goose Pond organization, feature photographs taken at GPFWA and include information to help you make the most of your visit to this wonderful outdoor recreation area right here in our backyard.
The calendars, which will make perfect gifts for all your relatives and friends, are just $10 each.
Calendars will be available for purchase or pick-up at the following locations:
* The Old Tobacco Barn & Sculpture Trails in Solsberry on Nov. 7 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
* Main Street Gifts, corner of Main Street and State Road 54 in downtown Linton.
* Goose Pond Fish and Wildlife Barn, south of Linton on State Road 59 -- just past Weaver's Curve.
* Heritage Cafe, North Main Street in Linton -- one block north of State Road 54.
* The Artist's Muse, on the north side of the square in Bloomfield.
The $5 million Goose Pond restoration project is essentially done and flooding of the main pools has begun.
The Goose Pond FWA is a massive 7,137 acre project that will include -- when completed -- 3,506 acres of open water in the Goose Pond portion and another 541 acres of waterways in the Beehunter Marsh are -- which is now filled.
The wildlife and conservation area -- located in Stockton, Grant, Stafford and Washington townships -- is a glacial wetland basin drained by Black Creek and Brewer Ditch within the White River drainage basin.
The Natural Resources Conservation Service restoration project is restoring one of the most significant waterfowl use areas in Indiana due to its size, historic use by wildlife, proximity to federal and state owned natural areas, and location near the Wabash and White rivers.
The Indiana Department of Natural Resources negotiated the property's purchase for $8 million in 2005 from Maurice Wilder.
Goose Pond FFWA project manager Brad Feaster says the area is already gaining national notoriety as a haven for birdwatchers and naturalists.
If you haven't seen it lately, jump into your vehicle and take a leisurely drive and enjoy wildlife at its best -- after you have picked up one of the 2010 calendars.
The photo calendars can be shipped for an additional $2.50 fee.
Checks should be made payable to Friends of Goose Pond. Be sure to include the address(es) to which calendar(s) should be shipped as well as the number of calendars going to each ship-to location. Your calendar(s) will be shipped as soon as payment is received.
Orders can be placed by mail at Friends of Goose Pond, P.O. Box 34, Solsberry, Ind., 47459.
* While we are in the holiday gift-buying mood, I want to share this listing of the "World's Shortest Books" that I recently received from an e-mail friend.
I'm not sure of the source of this list and it's a pretty safe bet that none of these books will be included on the New York Times' best seller list, but I thought it was interesting and humorous.
The list includes the following selections that may be on your library shelves very soon or at your favorite bookstore just in time for the holidays shopping rush.
* "The Amish Phone Directory"
* "A Collection of Motivational Speeches" By Dr. Jack Kevorkian.
* "A Guide to Dating Etiquette" By Mike Tyson.
* "Things I Love About Bill" By Hillary Clinton
* "Sequel: Things I Love About Hillary" By William Jefferson Clinton.
* "Things I Can't Afford" By Bill Gates.
* "Things I Know To Be True" By Al Gore and John Kerry.
* "My Plan to Find the Real Killers" By O.J. Simpson.
And just released, "Complete Knowledge of Military Strategy" By Nancy Pelosi.
Have a great week.
Nick is the assistant editor for the Greene County Daily World. He can be reached by telephone at 847-4487 or 1-800-947-4487 or by e-mail at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/wordmaster1953.
Showing comments in chronological order
[Show most recent comments first]
- Blog RSS feed
- Comments RSS feed
- Send email to By Nick Schneider, Co-Editor
Hot topicsThere's a lot to learn from eagles
(1 ~ 2:52 PM, Mar 5)
County school districts should consider consolidation
Husbands, love your wives; wives, love your husband
Roe vs. Wade is simply the wrong choice
A trip down a snowy memory lane