Friday, May 24
* Oklahoma Relief Effort: Donations of non-perishable foods and essential items can be dropped off at a box trailer collection site in front of the Drunk Monkey on State Road 67 near the Triangle in downtown Worthington on Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 3 p.m. until the bar's closing time. Monetary donations and gift cards can be given to staff on site or inside the bar. All donations will be delivered to those in need in Moore, Oklahoma. The truck rolls west at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, May 28. For more information or to request a pick up, call Justin Coleman at 812-887-4482.
* Oklahoma Benefits: No cover charge at the Drunk Monkey in Worthington, donations accepted for tornado victims in Oklahoma. On Friday night, Notorious Betty with Rick Sparks, 7-10 p.m. and Double Dose with Dickie Phillips, 10 p.m.-2 a.m. On Saturday night, live and silent auctions, 8-9 p.m., Bubba Wiggles 9-10 p.m., City Lights from 10 p.m.-2 a.m. On Sunday, Remnants from 4-7 p.m. For more information, contact Justin Coleman at 812-887-4482 or visit the Drunk Monkey's page on Facebook.
* Walnut Grove Cemetery will be placing flags on the graves of veterans at 5 p.m. They are in need of helping placing the 230 flags.
Saturday, May 25
* The Linton Moose will have a chicken noodle dinner from 5 to 7 p.m., and karaoke 8 p.m. to midnight. Members and guests are welcome.
* The Carnegie Heritage & Arts Center of Greene County is proud to showcase the amazing photography of Nick Schneider and his daughter Nicole Byrd in the Southeast Gallery through June 22 with opening reception Saturday, May 25th from 1-4 p.m. Don't miss the opportunity to experience the combined creative eye of a very talented father and daughter. The Carnegie Heritage & Arts Center is located at 110 East Vincennes St. in Linton. Regular hours are Tuesday through Friday from 10 a.m.-4 p.m., and Saturday noon to 4 p.m. For more information call 847-0165 or www.carnegiegreene.org .
* All are veterans are invited to a free appreciation breakfast of sausage gravy and biscuits, eggs and sausage links at the Linton American Legion Post No. 22 from 7 to 10 a.m. at the upstairs Activity Hall. The breakfast is hosted by the American Legion Auxiliary Unit No. 22.
* There will be a free kids' slam dunk contest at the Greene County Shrine Club at 3 p.m. The sign up will be at 2:15 p.m. for children 17 and under. There will be an 8-foot dunkable goal.
Sunday, May 26
* The Bethel Baptist Tent Revival will be held May 26 to 31 at 7 p.m. each evening. Join us for old fashioned preaching and singing. There will be guest preachers and musical entertainment each evening.
* Walnut Grove Cemetery will have Sunday School at 9 a.m. and church at 10 a.m. There will be a memorial ceremony in the cemetery at 11:15 a.m. and a pitch-in dinner following in the Friendship Hall at noon. There will be a program in the church with special music at 1 p.m.
* Memorial Day Services for Bloomfield American Legion Post 196: Tulip Church/Cemetery 9:15a.m., Scotland Cemetery 10:40 a.m., Walnut Grove Cemetery 11:30 a.m., Grandview Cemetery 1 p.m.
* Memorial Day Services for Solsberry American Legion Post 450 Newark Cemetery 12:30 p.m., Ridgeport Cemetery 1 p.m., Sylvania Cemetery 1:30 p.m., Carmichael Cemetery 2 p.m., Solsberry Cemetery 2:30 p.m., Greene County Chapel 3 p.m., Liberty Cemetery Hendricksville 3:30 p.m., Solsberry Memorial Park 4 p.m. (at Fire Station), Bingham Cemetery 4:20 p.m.
* The annual Jasonville Horse Pull will be held at 3 p.m. at Hanna Field on the east side of Jasonville on State Road 48.
* Marco Cemetery will host a ceremony naming veterans at noon.
Monday, May 27
* Register by May 27 and receive a free tee shirt for the 6K Run and Walk coming up on Hunger Awareness Day 2013 on Sat., June 8. Event sponsored by Linton First Christian Church to benefit the Linton Food Pantry. Early registration is $15. Regular registration is $20. The 6K will start at 8 a.m. June 8 at Humphreys Park, late registration that morning starts at 7 a.m. Runners can compete for medals in six age divisions for both men and women: Under 20, 21-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, and over 60. Register by contacting Tambra McGill, email@example.com or Brad Feaster, firstname.lastname@example.org or by visiting Linton First Christian Church, Mon-Thu 8-4 and Friday 8-12. For more information contact McGill, Feaster or Mark Downey, 381-4025, email@example.com.
* Memorial Day Service for the Dugger American Legion Post No. 224 will be at Mount Moriah at 1 p.m. and Dugger Cemetery at 2 p.m.
* Memorial Day Service for Worthington VFW Post 7117 will be at the Veterans Memorial Site in the Worthington Cemetery at noon.
* There will be Memorial Day Services Greene County Veterans Council Program on Court House Lawn at Bloomfield 3 p.m. Guest Speaker: John Bailey, Colonel, U.S. ARNG Retired. In case of inclement weather, the service will be at the American Legion Post No. 196
Tuesday, May 28
* Son Seekers Hay Day Vacation Bible School at First Presbyterian Church, 401 Shyla Lane, Bloomfield, May 28th, 29th, and 30th, from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
* The Bloomfield Town Council will meet in special session on Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 3:30 PM at the fire station on Mill Street. Agenda for meeting is discussion of town ordinances.
Friday, May 31
* The Lyons Community Yard Slaes will be today and Saturday. To be placed on the map, please contact Town Hall at 659-2521 by May 27. Maps will be available at local businesses prior to sales.
Saturday, June 1
* The Indiana Tribe 12 U Fastpitch Softball will have a Car Wash at the Linton Fire Department from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
* Chicken Noodle Benefit Dinner and Silent Auction a benefit for 3-year-old Parker Auterson, who was recently diagnosed with kidney cancer from 3 to 7 p.m. at the Zorah Shrine, located at 420 N 7th St in Terre Haute. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children 12 and under. Kids 3 and under eat free. For more information or to buy a ticket call 812-841-5102. Tickets will also be sold at the door. Follow Parker's Story on Facebook at Princess Parker's Progress. All silent auction items will be listed there as well prior to the event.
* The Lyons Strawberry Parade will be at 10 a.m. Entries are welcome, and will follow the highway from the clinic to the fire station. The theme is "LIfe as it should be".
Sunday, June 2
* The Lyons Strawberry Festival will be at the Lyons Town Park. Attend for music, food and fun.
Monday, June 3
* Emergency! Your help is needed at Victory Baptist Church, Bloomfield, for "Search and Rescue" Vacation Bible School, to be held June 3 to 5 from 6 to 8 p.m. Emergency response vehicles will be available for viewing. For free transportation call Pastor Jerel Claney at 812-798-3007. We hope you can assist us.
* The Town of Lyons will be flushing its water system through key hydrants from June 3 through June 5. Please note: this may cause some discoloration of water. Thank you for your patience. If you have questions you may call the clerk-treasurer at 659-2521.
Tuesday, June 4
* The Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library will be having a "What's Your Craft?" night from 6:30-7:45 PM. All interested teens and adults are welcome to bring their own crafting supplies, whatever your craft, and work on your project with others. Scrapbooking, crocheting, jewelry making, etc. Whatever your craft bring it along and craft among friends. We will continue to meet on the first of each month. Each month we will feature a different craft or crafter. In June we will feature scrapbooks made by Kimberly Porter.
Thursday, June 6
The Greene County Master Gardeners will meet at 7 p m. at the Greene County Extension office at the fairgrounds near Switz City.
Saturday, June 8
* The annual Wings of Hope Benefit will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Shawnee Airport. The event will have events for children, and will be raising funds for scholarships in memory of Joshua Merritt and Nicholas Decker
* Lebanon Cemetery asks that Memorial Day decorations be removed by June 8. Items may remain on the stone but decorations not removed from the grave itself and in the mowing path will be disposed of. If decorating with a shepherd's hook please place it to the side of the stone for mowing purposes. Thank you in advance for your cooperation. Any questions call 798-7023.
* The Linton-Stockton High School class of 1983 will hold their 30 year reunion at the Legion Park in Linton from 2 to 8 p.m. For more information contact Sharla Gennicks-Fulford at 847-0975.
Sunday, June 9
* STORY TELLING proudly presents talented artist and civic minded citizen Ginger Spice, of Bloomfield. She will relate the story of how citizens united in a common cause saved the Richland Creek Covered Bridge from demolition and restoredit for the benefit of future generations. The program will be at the Carnegie Heritage and Arts Center at 2 p.m. Refreshments will be served.
Friday, June 14
* Bloomfield Presbyterian Church's will be hosting the 36th Annual Tasting Luncheon from 11 a.m. 1 p.m. Carry outs and delivery in the Bloomfield area are available and may be made by calling the church office, 384-8424. Tickets are $8 for adults and $3 for children under 6. The church is located at 401 Shyla Lane, Bloomfield. Go north on Cleveland Street and turn left at the "T" intersection.
Tuesday, June 18
* Books to Movies is a new monthly program for patrons 18 and older that will be hosted by the Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library. The movie will begin at 6 p.m. Throughout each month we will read a book and then gather on the third Tuesday of the month to watch its movie and discuss the differences. Free popcorn will be provided. Call or visit the library to find out what movie is playing in June.
Saturday, Aug. 24
* Hi-Lift Jack, Co. will be sponsoring a fundraising "Trail Day" at Redbird State Riding Area. All proceeds will benefit the Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy. Registration deadline is Aug. 9. First 100 registered vehicles will get free admission and free event T-shirt. Donations will be accepted to help research and treatment of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. The registration form includes name, email, phone, club, shirt size and passenger. Registration forms can be sent to "Trail Day", 46 W. Spring St., Bloomfield, 47424 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
* Donations for upkeep of the Dishman Cemetery, in Eastern Greene County, will be taken Friday, May 24 through 27 at the cemetery gate. Donations can also be mailed to Betty West at 3799S West Drive, Springville, Ind. 47462. Make checks payable to Dishman Cemetery.
* The Worthington Senior Citizens Center, located downtown on North Commercial St., hosts an evening of euchre every Tuesday evening startiing at 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome. For more information call the center at 812-875-2525.
* You can help the Shakamak School Food Pantry if you have Duke Energy as your electric service provider. By completing a home energy assessment, you will get information about how to save on your electric bill, 9 CFL light bulbs, 2 low-flow shower heads, 2 bathroom sink aerators, 1 kitchen sink aerator and pipe wrap- all absolutely free. The food pantry will get a $25 donation for each assessment completed. Go to the Shakamak web page at www.shakamak.k12.in.us then "local" and "help the food pantry" for a link to sign up and make your appointment for the energy assessment. There is nothing to buy and the representative has nothing to sell you.
* The Greene County Humane Society will be offering a spay/neuter coupon for the month of May, for $50 for dogs 50 pounds and under, and $30 for cats. Coupons are available at the shelter, Tuesday through Saturday 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. For more information, call 847-4780.
* The Greene County Historical Society would like to collect names of the early pioneers located in Greene County before 1840. If you have knowledge and/or documentation of early pioneers to Greene County before 1840, please contact the Society office at 812-384-8400, e-mail -- email@example.com or mail -- 22 S. Washington St., Bloomfield. Some research material is available at the office. Any information you have would be most welcome.
* Due to scheduling and staffing conflicts, the Odon Church of the Nazarene will not sponsor Upward Soccer this year. We have really enjoyed the opportunity to teach soccer skills, have fun and share our Christian faith with the children and community. For more information about Upward Sports, or to find the nearest league go to www.upward.org. Thank you to all who supported this great program for the past several years.
* The Switz City Alumni plan to meet June 8, and current addresses are needed to send out invitations. Mail your current address to 3820W 250N, Switz City, Ind. 47465 or call 812-659-3527.
* Union Church will be starting gospel sings the third Saturday of each month this year starting April 20. The Evening Light Gospel Singers (Lowell and Brenda Flynn) will be the featured singers along with the locals. Starting time is 6 p.m. The church is located on State Road 43 between Solsberry and Hendricksville. For more information, call Pastor Danny Hillenburg 847-0253 or the Schweers at (812) 876-5680.
* Newberry Festival is looking for venders, Little Mister and Miss contest entries, Cruise-in Car show entries and parade entries. You can get vender reservation forms and Little Mister & Miss forms at www.newberryfestival.com . The festival is Aug. 17 from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. with vender set-up on Aug. 16 at noon. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com .
* Order Linton Tri Kappa cheese balls now for all your spring/summer holidays and events. Contact Jessica at 384-5911 or Lisa at 847-7319 to place your order.
* The Bloomfield High School class of 1973 is making plans for its 40-year reunion. Current contact information is needed for all classmates. Please call Brenda (Hamilton) Keller at (812) 275-4890 or Sue (Strange) Yake at (812) 384-8483 with this information.
* The National Guard Grandmother's Club will meet the first Monday of each month at 2 p.m. at the VFW Lodge in Linton.
* The Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library provides free delivery of materials to any homebound patron living within the service district. Residents of Richland, Beech Creek, Highland, Center, Taylor, and Jackson Townships are all eligible for the service. Permanent or temporary homebound patrons are encouraged to contact the library at 384-4125 to begin delivery service.
* Alanon Family Group meetings will be Mondays from 7 to 8 p.m. at the Linton Church of Christ, 4th St. in Linton.
* The Luke House, located at 128 S. Crowder St. in Sullivan, has meetings open to the public and the schedule is as follows: Mondays Christian 12-step program 6 to 7 p.m. and as a Narcotics Anonymous from 7 to 8 p.m. Tuesdays from 6 to 7 p.m. there will be a motivation class. Thursdays will be a recovery-related speaker. Fridays 7 to 8 p.m. Alcoholics Anonymous. Monday through Friday at 7 a.m. daily devotions and Bible study. For more information, call the Luke House at (812) 268-3728.
* Child Passenger Safety Technicians at the Greene County Sheriff's Department's Permanent Fitting Station, certified through the Automotive Safety Program at Riley Hospital for Children at the IU School of Medicine, are available to inspect safety seats and offer hands-on instruction on how to properly install your seat in your vehicle. They can make sure you have the car seat that fits your child best and that is properly secured in your vehicle. They may also be able to provide a car seat to families in need who meet income guidelines and in emergency circumstances when a child needs a seat immediately as a result of a fire or vehicle crash. For more information or to schedule an appointment for a safety inspection of your child's car seat, call the Greene County Sheriff's Department at 384-4422.
* Divorced? Separated? Find support through DivorceCare, a weekly seminar being offered at Saron Church (440 1st St. NE) on Saturdays April 27 & May 4th from 10 a.m. -12:30 p.m. Sessions range from "What's Happening to Me?" to "Forgiveness." Cost is $15 for materials and snacks, but scholarships are available. Please call Saron Church at 847-4911 if you have any questions or to sign-up.
* In order to raise funds for the prospective splash pad at Linton's Humphreys Park there will be calendars representing Old Time Linton for sale for $10. The calendars will be available at Shield's Hardware, Markle Music and Linton Saron Church. For more information call 847-7345.
* Have you wanted to read the entire Bible but get discouraged or don't understand it? Prairie Chapel United Methodist Church will begin a 31-week series on the first Sunday in January (6th) that will help you to read through the Bible chronologically and then study what we've read during weekly worship and Sunday school times. Please contact Pastor Nikki Marker at 875-3301 to pick up your copy of the accompanying book titled "The Story."
* The Worthington American Legion Auxiliary Unit No. 106 will host Bingo every Friday night. Doors will open at 4 p.m. and Bingo will start at 6:15 p.m. Food is available for sale during each session.
* The Bloomfield Eastern Greene Public Library will host a banned book club the first Friday of every month at 5 p.m. in the Community Room.
* The Worthington First Baptist Church, located at the corner of Park and Dayton Sts., will host youth groups every Tuesday from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Kid's Club (4-years-old to fifth grade) will meet in the church and Four12 (sixth to 12th grade) will meet in the fellowship hall. For more information call 798-2870 or 798-2871.
* Mercy's Road Full Gospel Church services will be each Thursday at 7 p.m. at Coalmont Church. Call 699-1095 for more information.
* Bloomfield American Legion Memorial Post No. 196 is hosting Bingo every Thursday night at 5 p.m., with winner take all.
* The VFW Ladies Auxiliary Post 7118 of Linton will meet the first Monday of each month.
* The Alzheimer's Support Group will meet the first Monday of each month at the Switz City Christian Church at 6 p.m. If you have any questions please call Linda at 798-1589.
* Meals on Wheels is now available at the Lyons Senior Citizens Center starting at 11:30 a.m. Please call 847-3509 the day before you plan to attend. For those who are homebound and need meals delivered, call 2-1-1 or 1-800-742-9002.
* Books for Babies is a national literacy program that acquaints parents and newborns with the important role they play in the development of their children. Parents are presented with a Books for Babies kit containing a book, baby's first library card and brochures with reading tips for parents and caregivers. If you are a new mother and a resident of Greene County in one of the following townships -- Richland, Highland, Taylor, Beech Creek, Center or Jackson -- you are eligible for a free gift for you and your baby. Please bring your baby in "to show him/her off" to the circulation desk in the Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library, 125 Franklin St. in Bloomfield to receive your free gift.
* Bingo at the American Legion in Worthington is on Fridays. Doors open at 4:30 p.m. with games at 6:15 p.m. This is open to the public. Cost is $30 for 15 games All proceeds go to the Worthington American Legion. This event is non-smoking with breaks made for smokers to go outdoors.
* A 12-Step Overcomers Recovery Support meeting is every Wednesday at the Family Life Center on the east side of the square in Bloomfield from 7:30-8:30 p.m. Come and join us to overcome life-controlling problems of all sorts with Bible principles, prayer, memory verses and weekly support. Call Instructor Tom Jacob for more information at 384-6321.
* The Lyons Community Food Pantry at 150 East Broad Street (the old fire station) will be open from 4-6 p.m. the third Monday of every month, and the first Saturday of the month from 10 a.m. to noon. The pantry serves zip codes 47443, 47449, and 47465.
* The Worthington Park Board will host meetings at 6 p.m. on each first Monday of the month at the Worthington Municipal Building in downtown Worthington. The public is welcome to attend.
* Mineral United Methodist Church will have Bible study from 7 - 8 p.m. on the second, third and fourth Wednesdays of the month.
* Faith Community Church cookbooks are available for $10 and can be purchased at Richard Brown Insurance or call 847-4798.
* Lebanon Baptist Food Pantry will only be open on the fourth Thursday of each month from 6-7:30 p.m.
* The Refuge Assembly of God food pantry will be open every Wednesday from 1-5 p.m. to assist those living in Bloomfield. To donate, please contact Trina at 384-8093 during the pantry's open hours.
* The Mineral Christian Men's Group meets at 8 a.m. every third Saturday of the month at the Mineral Community Building.
* House of Grace Coffee House will offer fellowship, food, worship and youth classes. The church is located at 792 S. Section St. in Dugger.
* The Pleasantville United Methodist Church food pantry is now open on the second and fourth Saturdays of the month from 10:30 a.m. - noon.
* The Lyons First Christian Church youth group meets at 6 p.m. on Mondays at the church's East Broad Street location.