Saturday, March 8
* The Lyons Senior Citizen Center will have their monthly breakfast of sausage and pancakes, biscuits and gravy, eggs, coffee, milk, orange juice on Saturday, March 8 from 7-10 a.m. The cost is a donation only. They will also have a bake sale and they'll be selling tickets for the afghan drawing -- tickets are $1 each or six for $5. If you have any questions, call Kathy England at 812-384-7934.
* Bloomfield Youth League Baseball and Softball registrations and baseball skills evaluations will be Saturday, March 8 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Bloomfield Junior High gym for any boy from ages 3-15 as of May 1, 2014 and any boy age three by Jan. 1, 2014 who wants to play t-ball. The sign-up includes those playing Babe Ruth and Junior High ball. The cost is $45 for one child, $90 for two children, $120 for three children or $160 for four or more children. A copy of a birth certificate must be presented at registration. If you need assistance, please discuss with a board member -- we want all children to have the opportunity to play and learn. The Baseball Skills Evaluation times are boys age 7-8 from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., boys age 9-12 from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m.
* The Friends of Shakamak will be having their third annual Beast Feast on Saturday, March 8 at 6 p.m. Cost is $5 in advance and $8 at the door. Tickets are available in the park office, 812-665-2158, and overnight accommodations are available as well - please call 812-240-3148. Overnight accommodations include breakfast. Please bring a wild game dish or side dish to share for an extra chance to win a shotgun.
* The Linton Moose will have a steak, pork chop and shrimp dinner on Saturday, March 8 from 5:30-7:30 p.m. followed by Karaoke at 8 p.m. Members and guests are welcome.
Sunday, March 9
* The Hendricksville Area Association Monthly FundRaiser Breakfast will be onSunday, March 9, from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. at the Community Center, Highway 43, in Hendricksville. The breakfast will benefit the Hendricksville Area Association for various community projects. The menu includes: Bacon, ham, sausage, eggs, omelets (no Western), biscuits and gravy, fried potatoes, pancakes, french toast.
Monday, March 10
* The Eastern Greene School Board will meet in an executive session to discuss personnel on Monday, March 10 at 7 p.m. followed by a regular meeting of the board at 7:30 p.m. Immediately following the regular board meeting, the board will meet in another executive session, if necessary, to discuss personnel. All meetings will be held in the Eastern Greene Schools Central Office Board Room.
* The Linton Public Library will host Teen Creative Writing/Photography Club, 4:30 p.m.-5:15 p.m. and Gaming Time, 5:15-6:15 p.m. on the Big Screen.
Tuesday, March 11
* The Greene-Sullivan Special Education Cooperative's Executive Board will meet in executive session on Tuesday, March 11 at 9 a.m. with the regular meeting to follow at 10:30 a.m. in the conference room at the Greene-Sullivan Special Education Cooperative, 77 A St., NE, Linton.
* The Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library will be hosting the monthly gardening series at 6:30 p.m. in the Community Room. March's topic will be Backyard Composting. We'll be learning how to make your own garden soil, and if time allows we'll also discuss vermiculture. Please call the library at 384-4125 if you have any questions.
Wednesday, March 12
The Bloomfield Town Council will meet in regular session at 6 p.m. at the fire station. The meeting was orginally set for Wednesday, March 5, but was rescheduled.
* Free tax help for seniors will be available at the Lyons Senior Citizens Center on Wednesday, March 12 from 9 a.m. until 12 noon.
Thursday, March 13
* WRV Referendum Information Community Coffee -- Everyone is invited to get to know WRV Superintendent Bob Hacker and ask questions regarding the WRV Referendum on Thursday, March 13, at 7 p.m. at the Worthington Town Hall and Tuesday, March 18 at 7 p.m. at the Worthington Town Hall.
* The Greene County Sexual Assault Response Task Force (SART) will meet at 3 p.m. on Thursday, March 13, at the Greene County Prosecutor's Office on the second floor of the courthouse in Bloomfield. Finalization of the Walk-a-Mile event with be discussed. Walk-a-Mile will be April 24 at 11 a.m. Volunteers from the community are welcome to get involved with SART and Walk-a-Mile. If interested, please contact Vickie Aydt at the Greene County Prosecutor's Office, 812-384-4998, for more information.
Saturday, March 15
* There will be a St. Patrick's Day Dance at the Linton American Legion Post No. 22. One man band Brad Harris will perform from 9 to midnight.
* The A.M. Risher's Pool Board will sponsor a fundraising concert in Linton on Saturday, March 15 in the Linton-Stockton High School Auditeria. Tickets are now available at City Hall for Terry Lee and the Rockaboogie Band. Seats will cost $10, $12 and $15 depending on seat location. Proceeds will go towards start-up cost for the 2014 pool season, continued ADA work to make the bathrooms handicapped assessable and more concrete work to improve the safety of the pool facility. To purchase tickets or for more information, visit Linton City Hall or call 798-4717.
Monday, March 17
* The Lyons Senior Citizens Center will have a St. Patrick's Day Party - a pitch-in meal at noon with bingo after the meal and blood pressure screening will be available. For more information, call Kathy England at 812-384-7934.
* The Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library will begin a Monday Movie program on the third Monday of the month at 5:30 p.m. All adults ages 18 or older are invited to attend. Popcorn will be provided. Please call the library at 384-4125 or stop by to learn which movie will be playing.
Tuesday, March 18
* WRV Referendum Information Community Coffee -- Everyone is invited to get to know WRV Superintendent Bob Hacker and ask questions regarding the WRV Referendum on Tuesday, March 18 at 7 p.m. at the Worthington Town Hall.
Thursday, March 20
* Relay For Life of Greene County will have team captains meetings the third Thursday of each month leading up to the event. Meetings will be held at 7 p.m. in the Violet Newton Conference Room at Greene County General Hospital. Meeting dates are Feb. 20, March 20, April 17, and May 15. For more information, please contact Halea Franklin at email@example.com.
Saturday, March 22
The Dugger Lions will be hosting a yard sale at the Dugger park on Sat. March 22nd from 8-? Proceeds will benefit the Dugger Union Community School and other area organizations. Food will be served and all clothing items will be only a quarter. To donate items please contact John Delph at 812-691-3121 or bring items to Smith's Hardware in Dugger.
Monday, March 24
* Teen Book Club will be from 4:30-5:00 p.m. at the Linton Public Library. We are reading "Al Capone Does My Shirts," by Gennifer Choldenko. It is a very good read. Drop by the library, pick up a copy and begin reading with us. Also, on March 24 we have a Teen Craft 5:15-6:15 p.m. (We are making "Love Indiana" signs this month).
Friday, March 28
The National Wild Turkey Federation Banquet will be conducted at the Army National Guard Armory, located at 3380 South Walnut Street, Bloomington. Doors open at 5:30 p.m., dinner at 7 p.m. Buffet style dinner, raffles, live and silent auctions, wildlife prints, knives and merchandise. Contact Mark Franklin for more information at 812-355-6026.
Sunday, April 13
* The Center Township Volunteer Fire Department will host an Easter Celebration at their station located on East State Road 54, east of Bloomfield on Sunday, April 13 from 12 noon until 3 p.m. The Little Cincinnati Christian Church is sponsoring the Easter Egg Hunt. Lost River Risin' and New Terrain will be present to provide gospel and bluegrass music. The fire department will be serving a homemade chicken and noodle dinner starting at 12 with the egg hunt at 1 p.m. and music following the hunt. The cost is only a donation. For more information, contact the fire department at 812-825-2799.
* The Linton Elementary School Kindergarten Enrollment for the 2014-15 academic year is in March for students entering kindergarten during the next school year. Children who will be five years old on or before August 1, 2014 are eligible to enroll. enrollment forms may be picked up in the elementary office and need to be turned in by March 21. Office hours are 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Note: Enrollment forms have already been given to Linton pre-schools for children to take home.
* Trudy Calvert of T-L-C Creations "Art from the Heart" is the featured wildlife artist in the Northeast Gallery at the Carnegie Heritage & Arts Center now through March 28. Trudy is a very successful artist whose clients extend from the West Coast to New England. Her passionate love of nature is very evident in her art and is a show that should not be missed. Be sure to stop by the Carnegie and view the works of this talented artist. The Carnegie Heritage & Arts Center is located at 110 East Vincennes St. in Linton. Regular hours are Tuesday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Saturday noon to 4 p.m. For more information call 847-0165 or www.carnegiegreene.org
* Bingo at the American Legion in Worthington is on Fridays. Doors open at 4 p.m. with games at 6:15 p.m. This is open to the public. Cost is $20 for 15 regular games. Additional games played at additional cost. All proceeds go to the Worthington American Legion Auxiliary. This event is non-smoking with breaks made for smokers to go to designated areas.
* Relay For Life of Greene County will have team captains meetings the third Thursday of each month leading up to the event. Meetings will be held at 7 p.m. in the Violet Newton Conference Room at Greene County General Hospital. Meeting dates are March 20, April 17, and May 15. For more information, please contact Halea Franklin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The Bloomfield Public Library is establishing a bulletin board to be a central spot to look for local job listings and they hope to include any job openings that are within walking distance of Bloomfield town. If area businesses will notify the library when they have an opening, a flyer will be created for them and posted on the bulletin board. For more information, call Tasha Hudson at the library at 384-4125.
* Teens: There is something special just for you at the Linton Public Library. The People and Pizza Challenge: Be one of the first 10 teens to read 5 biographies from the Teen Area and receive a free 10-inch medium pizza from Goosepond Pizza. Come into the library for details and to get started.
* Newberry Festival is looking for Vendors, Parade Entries, Little Miss & Little Mister Entries, and Car Show Entries for August 15 and 16 for the 2014 event, which is noon - 10 p.m. and 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. Email Judy at email@example.com for Vendor Reservation Forms and for any information. You may also call Judy at 812-381-0193 and also go to our Facebook page: - facebook.com/newberryfestival
* Residents of the Lyons Health & Living Center are in need of volunteers to visit with them one-on-one, to sing, read or share a hobby. Whatever time you have to give, we need you. Please call Doris Moss or Leah Stremming at 812-659-1440.
* The Lions Club of Worthington meets at 7 p.m. every first and third Tuesday at the Municipal Building in Worthington. Anyone interested in becoming a member is welcome to attend.
* Kids Count Preschool of Greene County, Inc. is a non-profit preschool serving 3 to 5 year olds and their families in Greene County. It offers half-day and full-day preschool in the eastern Greene County area and has been serving the community for over 10 years. Open spots are currently available. For more information, call 825-5100, email firstname.lastname@example.org or check out their page on Facebook.
* Monthly Lyons Veterans Memorial Committee meetings are on the third Monday of each month at 7 p.m. in the basement of the Lyons United Methodist Church.
* ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) Support Group: Those with ALS and their loved ones are invited to attend the ALS Association's monthly support group meeting on the second Thursday of the month from 6:30-8 p.m. Location: Comfort Keepers, 4101 E. 3rd St., Bloomington. For more information, contact Leah Iversen at 812-361-9047.
* Catholic Charities is happy be sponsoring GED exam fees. If you are ready to take your GED exam, call 812-423-5456 or send an email to email@example.com.
* A Celtic Jam Session takes place from 7-10p.m. on the first Sunday of the month at the "Big Yellow House" located at 276 W. Main St. in Bloomfield, featuring traditional Irish, Scottish and old-time music. All skill levels are welcome, from novice to virtuoso, on acoustic instruments. There are hardwood floors so dancers are welcome. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 405-615-3924.
* The AARP Foundation Senior Employment Service is looking for workers 55 or older who need help finding full- or part-time employment. You may qualify for immediate paid job training assignments. We help you get job ready and then help you with job leads and referrals. This is a free service. You must be currently unemployed and certain income limitations apply. Call 847-4479, ext. 230 for an appointment or see Pam at WorkOne Linton.
* The Worthington Senior Citizens Center located downtown on N. Commercial St. in Worthington hosts an evening of euchre every Tuesday evening starting at 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome. For more information, call the center at 875-2525.
* The National Guard Grandmother's Club meets the first Monday of each month at 2 p.m. at the VFW Lodge in Linton.
* The Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library provides free delivery of materials to any homebound patron living within the service district which includes residents of Richland, Beech Creek, Highland, Center, Taylor and Jackson Townships. Permanent or temporary homebound patrons are encouraged to contact the library at 384-4125 to begin delivery service.
* Alanon Family Group meetings are on Mondays from 7 to 8 p.m. at the Linton Church of Christ, 4th St. in Linton.
* Child Passenger Safety Technicians at the Greene County Sheriff's Department's Permanent Fitting Station, certified through the Automotive Safety Program at Riley Hospital for Children at the IU School of Medicine, are available to inspect safety seats and offer hands-on instruction on how to properly install your seat in your vehicle. They can make sure you have the car seat that fits your child best and that is properly secured in your vehicle. They may also be able to provide a car seat to families in need who meet income guidelines, and in emergency circumstances when a child needs a seat immediately as a result of a fire or vehicle crash. For more information or to schedule an appointment for a safety inspection of your child's car seat, call the Greene County Sheriff's Department at 384-4422.
* Bloomfield American Legion Memorial Post No. 196 hosts Bingo every Thursday night at 5 p.m., with winner take all.
* The VFW Ladies Auxiliary Post 7118 of Linton meets the first Monday of each month.
* The Alzheimer's Support Group meets the first Monday of each month at the Switz City Christian Church at 6 p.m. If you have any questions please call Linda at 798-1589.
* Meals on Wheels is now available at the Lyons Senior Citizens Center starting at 11:30 a.m. Please call 847-3509 the day before you plan to attend. For those who are homebound and need meals delivered, call 2-1-1 or 1-800-742-9002.
* A 12-Step Overcomers Recovery Support meeting is every Wednesday at the Family Life Center on the east side of the square in Bloomfield from 7:30-8:30 p.m. Come and join us to overcome life-controlling problems of all sorts with Bible principles, prayer, memory verses and weekly support. Call Instructor Tom Jacob for more information at 384-6321.
* The Lyons Community Food Pantry at 150 East Broad Street (the old fire station) will be open from 4-5:30 p.m. the third Monday of every month, and the first Saturday of the month from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. The pantry serves zip codes 47443 and 47465.
* Lebanon Baptist Food Pantry will only be open on the fourth Thursday of each month from 6-7:30 p.m.
* The Refuge Assembly of God food pantry will be open every Wednesday from 1-5 p.m. to assist those living in Bloomfield. To donate, please contact Trina at 384-8093 during the pantry's open hours.
* The Pleasantville United Methodist Church food pantry is now open on the second and fourth Saturdays of the month from 10:30 a.m. - noon.