[Nameplate] Fair ~ 44°F  
High: 74°F ~ Low: 51°F
Friday, May 6, 2016

Fairbanks woman appears in Greene court

Thursday, May 17, 2007

A 33-year-old Fairbanks woman made her initial court appearance in Greene Circuit Court on Tuesday and entered a not-guilty plea to theft and forgery charges.

Deana Farmer remains incarcerated at the Greene County Jail where she is being held on $14,000 surety or 10 percent cash bond. She's also being held on an outstanding warrant from Vigo County.

She was formally charged with forgery -- a class C felony and theft/receiving stolen property -- a class D felony. Circuit Judge Erik Allen set a trial by jury for 9 a.m. on Oct. 2. He also appointed deputy public defender Jim Reister to represent her in the case.

Farmer was arrested Friday by Linton Police Officer Keith McDonald after he was dispatched to the Linton Family Pharmacy at 60 N.W. A Street in Linton after store officials questioned her photo-copied identification card that she used while trying to fill a prescription.

When officer McDonald checked her identification, he discovered she was wanted in Vigo County for failure to appear in court, according to a probable cause affidavit filed with the court.

LPD Officer Debbie McDonald followed up with the prescription from office of Dr. Bryan Cox and Dr. Krista Cox that Farmer attempted to fill to see if it was legitimate.

She discovered that Farmer had paid for her examination at the Linton doctor's office on the same day with a stolen/forged check in the amount of $96 written on account with the First Financial Bank of Sullivan. The check was written on the account of Jimmie A. Owen, according to court records.

Police were able to find out that Owen had reported the stolen check to the Sullivan City Police a few days prior.

"He suspected Ms. Farmer because she had been a caregiver to him in his home," Officer Keith McDonald wrote in his probable cause affidavit that was used to obtain an arrest warrant.

If convicted of both charges, Farmer could be sentenced up to eight years in prison and fined up to $20,000.