Tuesday, April 19
* The Greene County Reality Store, an economic simulation for all county 8th graders, is in need of 30 adult volunteers. The all-day annual event will be May 5 at the Greene County 4-H Community Building. If you have all day or a half-day to assist with the various booths, please contact Beth Burcham at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 384-4125.
* A member of U.S. Rep. Larry Bucshon's staff will be at the Greene County Courthouse, Auditor's Office on 1 E. Main St. in Bloomfield, from 2 to 3:30 p.m. This is a chance to meet face-to-face with a Congressional staff member to discuss issues, problems, or opinions regarding the federal government.
* Trinity Lutheran Church will hold its last Lenten hunger awareness meal at 6 p.m. Ephesians Discovery is also slated from 7 - 8 p.m. with a focus on Chapter 6: "How to be a Christian Soldier". The church is located at 1759 State Road 54 East in Linton.
* The Greene County Redevelopment Commission will meet in special session at 3:30 p.m. in the third floor meeting room at the county courthouse in Bloomfield. The purpose of the meeting is to amend the county economic plan with respect to the possible sale of real estate for economic development purposes.
* The Lyons Senior Center will have the live sounds of a classic country band from 6 - 8 p.m.
* The Greene County Tourism Advisory Board (GCTAB) invites all producers of items "Made in Greene County" to our 2nd "Made in Greene County" Meeting from 7 - 8 p.m. at the Greene County Fairgrounds Building. At this time, criteria is that you must reside, create, and produce your items within the boundaries of Greene County. This means that the following types of producers are welcome and very encouraged to attend: authors, musicians, quilters, bakers, weavers, crafters, artists, painters, sculptors, potters, wood workers, carvers, knitters, photographers, etc. Please keep in mind, the intention is not to form any official organization of GC Producers, nor has participation in any form of previous or current Store/Retail Outlet for GC Producers been limited or required as the conversation continues. All are welcome. For more information please contact David Benefiel, GCTAB Facilitator, at email@example.com or by phone at (765) 749-0321.
* White River Valley Jr./Sr. High will host freshman orientation at 6 p.m. in the cafeteria. Schedules for the 2011-12 school year will be completed. All freshman parents are encouraged to attend. For questions, call Mary Jo Jackson at 659-2274 X 117.
Wednesday, April 20
* Walnut Grove Church will have special Easter week services on the following: today with Ron Southerland delivering the message at 7 p.m; April 21 special service at 7 p.m.; Good Friday service with Ron Southerland at 7 p.m.; and Easter Sunday sunrise service at 6:30 a.m. with breakfast to follow at Fellowship Hall.
* Mansions in Heaven will kick off Easter week with Rev. Erin Raper delivering the message at 7 p.m. Communion and foot washing will be at 7 p.m. April 21. Special music by Steve Haywood and friends, Lost River Rising, will be at 7 p.m. April 22. Sunrise Service will be at 7 a.m. Easter Sunday, April 24, with breakfast and an Easter egg hunt to follow. Sunday School will begin at 9 a.m. with worship service at 9:30 a.m. Everyone is invited. The church is located at 201 S. Franklin St. in Bloomfield.
* Greene County General Hospital Auxiliary will hold a chocolate experience sale from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. in the hospital lobby. Public is welcome. You can also register to win an Easter basket.
* Pre-Easter services will be conducted at the Owensburg Baptist Church on April 20-22 at 7 p.m. each evening. Pastor Warren Purcell from Galveston, Ind., will preach. Bro. Purcell was the pastor of the First Baptist Church of Galveston for 20 years. He has pastored the Woodville Baptist church at Mitchell, and the First Baptist Church at Brazil. There will be special music each evening. Pastor Adams and the congregation invites everyone to attend all of these services. For information call (812) 798-0416.
Thursday, April 21
* Trinity Lutheran Church will have Maundy Thursday Worship at 7 p.m. with a focus on Christ and the last supper concluding with "Watch the Lamb" by Ray Boltz.. The church is located at 1759 State Road 54 East in Linton.
* The Linton Public Library Board of Trustees will have its regular meeting at 6 p.m. at the library. This meeting is open to the public.
Friday, April 22
* Trinity Lutheran Church will have a Good Friday TENEBRAE (light ending in darkness) service at 7 p.m. with meditations on the last seven words of Christ. The church is located at 1759 State Road 54 East in Linton.
* Mineral United Methodist Church will have Good Friday services at 7 p.m. Everyone is welcome.
* The Linton Ministerial Association Community Good Friday service will be at 7 p.m. It will be at the Linton Assembly of God across from McDonald's. Everyone in the community is welcome to attend.
* Koleen Union Church will have Good Friday Service at 2 p.m. There will be no Sunrise Service at Koleen this year.
Saturday, April 23
* The Center Township Volunteer Fire Department is hosting a Easter egg hunt and homemade chicken noodle dinner from 2-5 p.m. The egg hunt, sponsored by XI NU Chapter Delta Theta Tau of Owensburg, will start at 4 p.m. No charge for the dinner, however, donations will be accepted for the fire department.
* Eastern Thunder Community Football Zumbathon. Women, men and children are welcome. Doors open at 10 a.m., zumba from 10:30 a.m. -- 12:30 p.m. Cost is $10 for a T-shirt and zumba and/or $5 for zumba raffle tickets . Childcare available $5 per child. Snacks and drinks will be available for purchase. Proceeds go to Eastern Thunder Community Football League and breast cancer awareness.
* A swing band will provide free musical entertainment from 6 - 9 p.m. at the Lyons Community Center. Food will also be available. Donations will be accepted.
* Dugger Lodge # 721 F& AM will meet. Eat at 7 a.m. Work in the Master Mason degree at 8 a.m.
Sunday, April 24
* Trinity Lutheran Church will celebrate Easter Sunday with breakfast at 8:15 a.m., worship at 9:30 a.m. featuring special music and message "Victory!" and communion followed by an Easter Egg hunt for the kids. The church is located at 1759 State Road 54 East in Linton.
* Dugger First Baptist Church will celebrate Easter Sunday with Sunday School at 9:30 a.m. and worship at 10:45 a.m.
* Lyons Community Easter sunrise service will be at 7:30 a.m. at the Lyons First Christian Church -- which is located on East Broad Street. Breakfast to follow.
* The Linton First Christian Church will be offering three Easter Sunday Morning Services: 8:15 a.m., 9:45 a.m., and 11:15 a.m. There will be no Children services for the 8:15 service. They will meet at the 9:45 and 11:15 services.
* Easter sunrise services will be at 7 a.m. at Bethel Church -- which is located on State Road 159 about three miles south of Dugger. Free breakfast to follow.
* House of Prayer Eastern Greene, 1467 South State Road 45, Springville, IN (one mile south of Little Cincinnati) will have a Resurrection Day service at 10 a.m.
* Blessed Hope Baptist Church of Jasonville invites you to celebrate Easter on Resurrection Sunday at 9:30 a.m. The choir will present an Easter Cantata during the 10:30 a.m. service. A special "Balloon Release" will be held after the service to commemorate the resurrection of our Lord. Everyone is invited. For transportation or more information call 665-3282. Blessed Hope Baptist Church is located south of Jasonville on State Road 59. Times of services are Sunday school at 9:30 a.m., Sunday morning preaching at 10:30 a.m., Sunday evening at 7 p.m., and Wednesday evening at 7 p.m.
Tuesday, April 26
* A meeting concerning the upkeep of the Burris Chapel Cemetery will be at 6 p.m. at the residence of Rodney Walker -- which is located on County Road 150 North in Linton. All interested in the upkeep of the cemetery are encouraged to attend.
* The Greene County Women's Democrat Club will meet at 6 p.m. at Stoll's in Linton.
Wednesday, April 27
* Dugger Lodge #721 will meet at 7 p.m. for work in the FC Degree.
Thursday, April 28
* Retirees of the old Data Processing Department at Crane will have a spring luncheon at 11:30 a.m. at Boggs Restaurant -- located north of Loogootee on US 231. Reservations may be made by calling Louis Kavanaugh Jr. at 486-3658.
* The Greene County Memory Makers Quilt Guild will meet at 6:30 p.m. at the Bloomfield Public Library. The program will be by June Query. All quilters are welcome. Call Nancy Hudson at 384-6551 if you have any questions.
* The semi-annual buffet luncheon for RCA/GE/Thomson retirees association members, former employees and guests is from 10:30 a.m. - 2:15 p.m. upstairs at Terry's Banquet and Catering at 3124 Canterbury Dr. in Bloomington. Cost of the lunch, tax and service charge will be $12 per person when making reservations and $14 at the door. Call Sara Davenport at (812) 824-8245 and leave message for extenuating circumstances. Deadline for reservations is April 25. If you need to cancel, you can do so up to two days before the luncheon by calling Sara.
Saturday, April 30
* Friends for Kids of Daviess County will host a golf scramble at Country Oaks Golf Club in Montgomery. This is the annual fundraiser for the organization that mentors children of Daviess County. There will be a shotgun start at 8 a.m. with cash prizes for the first three team winners, teams of four with an entry fee of $50 per person. Entry fee will be due day of event. To pre-register call the course at 486-3300, Lisa Shafer at 698-0302, or just show up the day of the event.
* Owen County Learning Network is hosting its Spring Extravaganza & Rummage Sale at the Owen County Fairgrounds at 8 a.m. There will be a huge rummage sale, breakfast & lunch available, a bake sale by the Owen County Extension Homemakers, raffle ticket sales for a new, 2011 four-wheel drive Yamaha 350 Grizzly 4-wheeler, a children's water-applied tattoo booth, and much more. Funds support the Owen County Learning Network.
Saturday, May 7
* Linton Ladies Civitan Sample Fair will be from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. at the 4-H Fairgrounds. Admission is $1.50 with tickets available from any Civitan member or at the door. Door prizes, lunch and more. For booth information call 847-9236, 648-2652 or 648-2129.
* The Liberty Church of Christ, Hendricksville, will host its Spring Clothing Giveaway from 8 a.m. - noon. Everything is free and everyone is welcome. Clothes, coats, shoes, toys, linens and household items will be available. A free breakfast and lunch will be served.
Tuesday, May 10
* The Greene County Veterans Council will meet at 7 p.m. at the American Legion Post #22 in Linton.
Saturday, May 14
* The Greene County Singles will sponsor a dance and dinner at the Greene County Extension Building at Switz City. Doors open at 5:30 p.m., dinner at 6 p.m., dance from 7- 10 p.m. Admission is $5 with a food item, $6 with a 2 liter soda or $7 empty-handed. For more information call 825-4032.
* Registration for the Jasonville Tri Kappa Scholarship Ride at 8 a.m. at the Shakamak High School with the ride kicking off at 10 a.m. Cost of the ride is $20 per rider and $10 per passenger, which includes a T-shirt and lunch after the ride. For information or to get a form, contact Brenda Rash at 665-3942 or 798-6279.
Saturday, May 21
* The city of Linton will open the community to bargain hunters, collectors, and avid 'garage-salers' from 8 a.m. - 3 p.m. during the third annual Linton city-wide sale. Sale will be held rain or shine. The Linton Public Library will rent booth space to those who may live in rural areas surrounding the city or may need space for your organization to host a fundraiser. To get listed on the map, email firstname.lastname@example.org and share a physical address and four descriptive words about your sale. Look for more information to be released from the Linton City-Wide Yard Sale page on Facebook. For more details call Deidra Brumfield at 847-8207 or 699-0154 or Dave Benefiel at (765) 749-0321. Look for a Linton Area Musicians' Swap Meet to be held in conjunction with the sale in the parking lot behind Markle Music in downtown Linton.
Monday, May 30
* The Greene County Veterans Day Council will host a Memorial Day service at 3 p.m. on the courthouse lawn.
Saturday, July 2
* The Linton-Stockton class of 2001 will celebrate its 10th year reunion at 7 p.m. at the American Legion Park -- which is located on County Road 200 East in rural Linton. For more information contact Hannah Kinnett at (812) 798-1138, Kela (Stephens) Delph at (812) 381-2000 or Laurie (Bondurant) Wagner at (812) 798-4881. Cost is $15 per person or $25 per couple. Deadline to RSVP is June 1. Fee will include food, drinks and entertainment.
* Bingo at the American Legion in Worthington is on Fridays. Doors open at 4:30 p.m. with games at 6:15 p.m. This is open to the public. Cost is $30 for 15 games All proceeds go to the Worthington American Legion. This event is non-smoking with breaks made for smokers to go outdoors.
* The First Christian Church in Dugger is beginning a study of the book of Revelation on Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. The study is taught by Minister Jerry Carmichael. Workbooks are available for those wanting to learn more. For more information call Carmichael at 648-3043 or 648-2323.
* Property tax bills for the 2010 payable 2011 will be mailed out on or about April 15. Spring installment due by May 10 and fall installment due by Nov. 10.
* A 12-Step Overcomers Recovery Support Meeting is held every Wednesday at the Family Life Center on the East side of the square in Bloomfield from 7:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m. Come and join us to overcome life-controlling problems of all sorts with Bible principles, prayer, memory verses and weekly support. Call Instructor Tom Jacob for more information at 384-6321.
* Joe's Pizza, located at 160 West Mill St. in Bloomfield, is raising money for the American Cancer Society's Greene County Relay for Life. Every Tuesday during the month of April Joe's Pizza will donate 20 percent of its sales to the cause. Coupons are available at the store.
* The Switz City Cemetery Association says that all flowers that you want to keep must be removed by April 8. The cemetery clean-up day is April 9 at 8 a.m. If you can any questions call 659-2077 or 659-2819.
* The First Church of God in Linton is selling homemade half-pound Easter eggs. Flavors include the following: coconut, cherry and peanut butter. Cost is $5 each. Order now through April 10. To purchase contact Jennifer at 798-4739, Jana at 798-7495 or Donna at 847-1929. Proceeds go to special church projects and programs.
* It is time to enroll students for the 2011-12 Linton-Stockton kindergarten classes. During the month of March the school needs to know the names of students who will be entering kindergarten next school year. Children who will be 5 years old on or before Aug. 1, 2011 are eligible to enroll. Enrollment forms may be picked up in the elementary office.
* The Clay County WIC program is in Jasonville at the Senior Center on the second Wednesday of each month from 9 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
* VFW Post 7118 in Linton needs eligible members to join men's auxiliary. Bring required form. Contact post with eligibility questions at 847-9016 or visit the post 190 South Main St.
* Greene County General Hospital has announced that two $500 scholarships will be awarded in May: Dr. Mathias Mount and Dr. Kenneth Broshears scholarships. Dr. Mount was a physician from Bloomfield, and Dr. Broshears was a physician from Linton. The Dr. Mount Scholarship is given to a Greene County senior interested in pursing a healthcare career. The Dr. Broshears Scholarship is given to a student in high school or college interested in pursing a healthcare career. Applications can be picked up at the Greene County Ambulance Office in Bloomfield, the Greene County Daily World office in Linton, or in the administration office at Greene County General Hospital in Linton.
* The Peavey Cemetery Board will begin spring clean-up April 1. Please remove wreaths or winter decorations that will interfere with mowing before that date. Memorial decorations that interfere with mowing should be removed prior to June 15.
* Spring clean-up at Lebanon Cemetery has begun. Graves should be cleared off by March 31. Items may remain on the stone but decorations not removed from the grave will be disposed of. If you are decorating using a shepherd's hook, please place it to the side of the stone for mowing purposes. Any questions call 798-7023.
* The 2011 Miner Discount Cards are available at the reduced rate of $2 and can be purchased at Regions Bank in downtown Linton.
* The pastors of the churches which comprise the Central Greene County Ministerial Association have mapped out the course for the upcoming Lenten season and Holy Week observances. Several special events are planned. They include the following: Saturday, April 2 -- Lenten Breakfast at First Christian; Saturday, April 9 -- Lenten Breakfast at First Baptist; Saturday, April 16 -- Lenten Breakfast at Tulip Church Of God (with Word Of Life Fellowship); Friday, April 22 -- Community Good Friday Service at First Presbyterian 7 p.m.; Sunday, April 24 -- Community Easter Sunrise Service at First Christian 7 a.m. The Lenten breakfasts all begin at 8 a.m. and end by 9 a.m. Free-will offerings will be received at each of the breakfasts to support the various ministries and missions of the CGCMA. For more information, call 384-8459.
* A Coalmont family is in need of clothing after a fire at their home. The sizes: Male, size 38 waist and 33 length pants, extra large shirts, and size 10.5 shoes; Female, size 6 pants, medium shirts, and 7.5 shoe size; Child, size 3 toddler shirts and pants, size 3 underwear, and size 8 shoes. For more information call (317) 363-6334.
* The Eastern Greene High School graduating class of 1971 is looking for addresses for members for their upcoming 40th reunion to be held July 16. Please call Yvette at (812) 797-4540 with the addresses and leave a message.
* Officials at the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles have announced that the Linton and Bloomfield license branches will have new hours of operation effective Jan. 31. The Linton license branch will be open on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Bloomfield license branch will be open on Tuesday and Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Customers needing to conduct business with the BMV without visiting a license branch can visit the improved myBMV.com website or visit a BMV partner location. Some transactions can also be completed by phone through the BMV Customer Service Center at 1-888-692-6841.
* The Lyons Community Pantry at the Lyons United Methodist Church will be open from 3 - 6 p.m. the second Thursday of every month.
* Free tax help is available through a program sponsored by the IRS and AARP for low income, handicapped or elderly in filing their federal and state income tax returns. Volunteers for TCE (Tax Counseling for the Elderly) have been certified to fill out forms as well as schedules. Free electronic filing will be available at all locations. When visiting the tax sites, taxpayers should bring a copy of their 2009 return and proof of 2010 income. Weather permitting dates and sites are: Bloomfield Highrise -- April 8 from 9 a.m. to noon; Bloomfield Library -- April 2 from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.; Bloomfield Meadowlark Apartments -- March 16 from 9 - 11 a.m.; Glenburn Home community room (Linton) -- March 17, 24 and April 7 from 9 a.m. ; Worthington Senior Center -- March 15 from 9 a.m. - noon
* The newly appointed Worthington Park Board will host meetings at 6 p.m. on each first Wednesday of the month at the Worthington Municipal Building in downtown Worthington. The public is welcome to attend.
* Mineral United Methodist Church will have Bible study from 7 - 8 p.m. on the second, third and fourth Wednesdays of the month.
* The Alzheimer's Support Group meeting will be at the Switz City Christian Church fellowship hall on State Road 54 in Switz City. The meeting will be the first Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. If you have questions, call 798-1589.
* Faith Community Church cookbooks are available for $10 and can be purchased at Richard Brown Insurance or call 847-4798.
* Hobbieville Christian Fellowship Church will have a gospel singing at 6 p.m. on the second Saturday of each month. The public is invited.
* The mobile food pantry will be at the Jasonville United Methodist Church from 10 a.m. to ? on the first Wednesday of the month.
* The Back Door Food Pantry is open from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. on the third Saturday of the month.
* Narcotics Anonymous will meet Saturdays at 7 p.m. at the Trinity Lutheran Church on State Road 54 East. There will be open discussion and all are welcome.
* Lebanon Baptist Food Pantry will only be open on the fourth Thursday of each month from 6-7:30 p.m.
* The Refuge Assembly of God food pantry will be open every Wednesday from 1-5 p.m. to assist those living in Bloomfield. To donate, please contact Trina at 384-8093 during the pantry's open hours.
* The Mineral Christian Men's Group meets at 8 a.m. every third Saturday of the month at the Mineral Community Building.
* House of Grace Coffee House will offer fellowship, food, worship and youth classes. The church is located at 792 S. Section St. in Dugger.
* The Pleasantville United Methodist Church food pantry is now open on the second and fourth Saturdays of the month from 10:30 a.m. - noon.
* The Lyons First Christian Church youth group meets at 6 p.m. on Mondays at the church's East Broad Street location.