The Bloomfield School Board learned Thursday night at the regular meeting Bloomfield School District is down a total of 57 students from last year.
The Average Daily Membership (ADM) count, as of Sept. 14, showed a total of 952.5 students attending Bloomfield, which is down from the 2011 ADM count of 999.5 students.
When taking into consideration funding, the Indiana Department of Education counts kindergarten students as one-half.
Bloomfield School District Superintendent Dan Sichting said when putting together the General Fund Revenue Estimate, the school had taken into account a drop of 55 students.
"The estimate is a little high because we have two less students than expected," Sichting explained.
He noted due to the loss of those two students the General Fund estimate is expected to drop approximately $10,000 from the estimated $5,675,866 for 2013.
Sichting said 38 percent of those withdrawals were from Bloomfield Elementary School, while the remaining 62 percent were from the junior-senior high school.
Bloomfield Junior-Senior High School Principal David Dean noted approximately 20 of those students lost were due to graduation, when an incoming class had fewer students than the graduating class.
Of the 38 percent of students who transferred out of the elementary, 64 percent were in-state transfers. Among those transfers, 11 percent switched to home schooling.
Sichting added of the 62 percent that transferred out of the junior-senior high school, 52 percent were in-state transfers. Approximately 25 percent of those students began home schooling.
Sichting stressed to the board these numbers were distressing to him.
"We are seeing that some of these students can't hack our academic rigor, so they are going to home school," Sichting said.
He noted while there are several home school programs taken seriously in the area, but he fears some may be lacking skills needed in the real world.
"Not every home school is bad. There are some really good ones out there," Sichting said.
However, Sichting said the highest rate of unemployment centers around those adults who have less than a high school diploma, or only a high school diploma.
"That's what bothers me. I believe the state needs to step in and create some accountability," Sichting said.
In other business, Sichting informed the board the school will receive approximately $180,000 in funding for the full-day kindergarten program.
The program had 75 full-day kindergarten students and one half-day kindergarten student.
"We get about $5,200 to $5,300 a student. The grant is still a little short, but it's better than it used to be," Sichting noted.
The board voted to award 12 of the 14 proposed 2013 to 2019 Transportation Contract bids.
* Bus route 1 was awarded to Jonas Johnson with a daily rate of $247.49 for a 72-mile route at $3.44 per mile.
* Route 2 --Jim Vandeventer, a daily rate of 189.50 for a 55-mile route at $3.45 per mile.
* Route 3 --Jim Abrams, a daily rate of $240 for a 61- mile route at $3.98 per mile.
* Route 4 -- Brad O'Neill, a daily rate of $199.99 for a 40-mile route at $4.80.
* Route 5 has not yet been awarded.
* Route 6 -- Don Goad, a daily rate of $192.90 for a 42- mile route at $4.80 per mile.
* Route 7 -- Laddie Moore, a daily rate of $172.38 for a 35.4 mile route at $4.87 per mile.
* Route 8 has not yet been awarded.
* Route 9 -- Helen Goad, a daily rate of $195.34 for a 35.4-mile route at $4 per mile.
* Route 10 -- Wendy Bastin, a daily rate of $198 for a 59.4-mile route at $3.33 per mile.
* Route 11- Linda Moore, a daily rate of $172.38 for a 65-mile route at $2.65 per mile.
* Route 12- Keith Bennett, a daily rate of $197.99 for a 52-mile route at $3.81 per mile.
* Route 13- Kevin Gott, a daily rate of $199.60 for a 59.4-mile route at $3.36 per mile.
* Route 14- Lana Pinnick, a daily rate of $199 for a 50.2-mile route at $3.96.
Sichting said he will continue to negotiate the price of routes 5 and 8 due to the cost exceeding the projected levy. Route 5 was bid at $5.19 per mile and Route 8 was bid at $6.55 per mile.
The school board also voted to shift a portion of the Contracted Bus Service fund to the Bus Replacement Plan.
"We have done this for quite some time now, about six years. As you know, gas prices can spike at any time," Sichting explained.