The Bloomfield School Board was updated on the advancements of Bloomfield School District and other county schools in the Mathematics Advancement Partnership Project (MAPP).
MAPP Coach Jennifer Lee said Greene County is ahead of the shift to the national Common Core Standards.
"Math teachers are making huge instructional shifts. They are making the kids think a little bit more," Lee explained.
Lee said 46 states have signed on to follow the Common Core Standards and Greene County is leading the way in Indiana.
County schools have already started making adjustments for the new standards, which are to take effect in the 2014-15 school year.
"Bloomfield is a star school for us because they have already made huge changes in the classroom," Lee noted.
Lee said the transition to Common Core Standards may not only be difficult for students, but for teachers to go against what they learned as well.
Rather than students taking a 50-question test at the end of the school year students will be seeing performance-based evaluation, Lee used as an example.
She added classrooms will also become more technologically advanced to prepare for college and careers beyond high school.
"Grades 7 to 12 do have teachers looking at flipped instruction. They are creating blogs, videos and pamphlets that go through the basics and the next day work to find the misconceptions," Lee explained, noting the bugs are still being worked out.
The classroom instruction time will be spent with less lecturing and more real life scenarios and group projects.
"The kids struggle with it at first. We don't want to give them the answer. We want them to figure it out," Lee said.
Lee said the transition will be easier for the teachers with the countywide collaboration.
"We don't have one Algebra I teacher working on the curriculum. We have an Algebra I teacher working with four other Algebra I teachers across the county," Lee said.
She added the Common Core Standards fall in line with the changes needed to be made to fit the RISE standards.
In other business, the board:
* Approved the Bloomfield Apple Festival's use of school facilities.
* Approved the purchase of technical support for "Successmaker" in the amount of $3,570.
* Approved a monetary donation from Crane Federal Credit Union to the Bloomfield Junior-Senior High School Athletic Department in the amount of $150.
* Approved a junior-senior high school non-resident student application.
* Approved an overnight and out-of-state field trip for the NJROTC at Camp Perry, Ohio.
* Approved an overnight field trip for the High School Student Council Leadership Conference.
* Approved the hire of long-term substitute teacher Ashlea Dunkerly in seventh and eighth grade English/Language Arts on an Indiana Emergency Permit for the areas of English/Language Arts and Social Studies.
* Approved the hire of Julie Sherrard as Title I Instructional Assistant.
* Approved the hire of Lisa Horning as a cafeteria II employee.
The board also approved the following extra-curricular recommendations:
* Christina Crane - National Honor Society.
* Julie Evans - High School Major Musical/Play sets and props; choreography; junior high musical assistant; elementary musical lights.
* Laura Helms - high school vocal music; high school major musical/play director; piano accompaniment; tickets and programs; junior high musical co-director; strut and fret; elementary musical director; elementary vocal music.
* Eric Mishler - junior high musical co-director.
* Frank Starr - SADD.
* Shawn Hall - assistant baseball coach.