Thursday, Oct. 11
* The second annual South Central Indiana VA Stand Down, which provides a variety of social services to homeless or near-homeless veterans, will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at American Legion Post 18, 1800 W. Third St. in Bloomington.
* The regular monthly meeting of the Greene County Sheriff's Merit Board will be at 6 p.m. in the conference room at the Greene County Jail, located at 204 CR 70E, at the east edge of Bloomfield.
* The Scotland United Methodist Church will be hosting revival services today through Oct. 14, at 7 p.m. Thursday through Saturday and at 6 p.m. Sunday with a special concert by Unity the Quartet. Guest speaker will be Rev. James Cooper, and there will be special music each service.
Friday, Oct. 12
* Bloomfield School District will be conducting a Full Scale Evacuation Drill between 1:45 and 2:15 p.m. today. Parents will be notified via SchoolReach calling system and parent letters will be sent out with details.
* There will be a yard sale at the Dugger Casey's at 8 a.m. All proceeds will benefit St. Jude Children's Research.
* The Linton Moose will have a steak, pork chop and shrimp dinner at 5 p.m. Members and guests welcome.
* A public meeting of the Board of Trustees of Greene County General Hospital and the Board of Directors of Greene County General Hospital, LLC will be held at 6:30 p.m. at the basement conference room of Greene County General Hospital, located at 1185 N 1000 W, Linton.
* Come spend the weekend at Beechwood Lake Christian Camp today through Sunday. It will start with supper Friday night, and the service will start around 8 p.m. The weekend will end with lunch on Sunday. Invite friends. There will be speakers and musical entertainment. The cost is $10 per person or $25 per family. Send your name and information to Family Camp, 3523 E. Beechwood Lake Road, Bloomfield, Ind. 47424. Call 812-825-7770 for more information, email aim4Jesus@newadventures.org or visit www.newadventures.org.
* Providence Baptist Church invites you to join them for their Weekend Revival today through Oct. 14. Friday and Saturday Services will begin at 7 p.m. Sunday services will be at 10:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. The guest speaker will be Evangelist Harlan Barnett. For more information, contact Pastor Darren McDonald at 847-8519.
Saturday, Oct. 13
* The Brown School reunion will be eld at Stoll's Country Inn meeting room at 11:30 a.m. All former students and friends are welcome.
* There will be an area fellowship meeting of churches in the Body of Christ Fellowship from Indiana, Kentucky and Illinios at the Assembly of Christ, located at the intersection of John and South Sts. in Bloomfield. The service will be 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and will involve worship and preaching from visiting ministers. There will be a fellowship dinner following service. Host pastor Carl Williams invites the public to attend this service.
* WRV Highschool Community League Football team will be having a car wash and bake sale at Autozone in Linton from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Please come and support our team. Any questions call 812-227-0136
* Linton Moose will have a pool tournament at 2 p.m. and karaoke at 8 p.m. Members and guests are welcome.
* Registration for the BJ Clause Motorcylce Ride will be at the Highland Lounge in Bloomington, located at the corner of Roll Ave and Curry Pike. Kickstands will be up at 11 a.m. The entry fee is $20 per rider, and $5 per passenger or a new toy. All proceeds will help BJ Yoho, a 10-year-old Greene County resident with spina bifida, deliver toys to children at the Riley Children's Hospital at Christmas time. This year he has a goal of delivering over 1,000 toys. Solsberry United Methodist will be providing food at the end of the ride. There will also be a poker run and 50/50 drawing.
* The Smartstyle Salon, located in WalMart in Linton, will be holding a Clip for the Cure event. Haircuts will be $15.50, with a portion of the proceeds going to breast cancer research. From noon to 3 p.m. the salon will have face paintings for $3, with all proceeds going to breast cancer research.
* The Worthington Fire Territory will host it's 3rd Annual "Keep the Kid's Warm" Fundraiser at the Worthington Fire House from 4-8 p.m. We will be having a fish fry with baked beans, cole slaw and potato salad. Hot dogs and chips will also be served with an assortment of desserts. Music and a silent auction will be taking place as well. The cost of the meal will be donation only. Money raised will be used to purchase new coats, shoes, hats and gloves for kids in need at the Worthington Elementary School.
* The Bloomfield Class of 2015 will be hosting a pancake breakfast at the lower shelter house at Bloomfield Park from 6 to 10 a.m. to benefit the 2014 post prom. The menu will include pancakes, biscuits and gravy, milk and coffee by donation.
* The Mineral Church will have a bean soup dinner at 5 p.m. Chris Blackmore will present musical entertainment at 6 p.m.
* The Sandborn Park Board will sponsor a weenie roast at the town park at 7 p.m. Bring your own lawn chair and stay a while. Donations will be gladly accepted.
* The Lyons Senior Center's monthly breakfast will be from 7:30 to 10 a.m. by donation only. Breakfast will include biscuits and gravy, sausage, eggs, pancakes, milk, and coffee. There will also be a bake sale.
* The Marco High School reunion will be held at the WRV Lyons Elementary School at 6:30 p.m. in the school cafeteria. It will be a carry-in dinner. Drinks and table service will be furnished by the committee.
Sunday, Oct. 14
* The Pruett and Bowersock reunion will be at 12:30 p.m. in the Worthington Park Community Building. Bring a well filled basket, drinks and table service.
* Hendricksville Area Association Monthly Fund Raiser Breakfast will be from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. at the Community Center, Highway 43, Hendricksville. Breakfast to benefit the Hendricksville Area Association for various community projects. Menu includes: Bacon, Ham, Sausage, Eggs, omelets (no Western), biscuits and gravy, fried potatoes, pancakes, french toast.
* Bethany Christian Church, in the Plummer Community two miles west of Bloomfield, will be hosting a revival today through Oct. 18 with evangelist Leroy Blankenship. The revival will be today at 6 p.m., and Monday through Friday at 7 p.m. For more information contact Richard Anderson at 812-825-7770 or Lee Baker Jr. at 812-384-4993, or visit www.bethany-christianchurch.org. The public is invited.
Monday, Oct. 15
* The Board of Public Works for the City of Linton will have a special board meeting at 9 a.m. in City Hall council chambers.
* Eastern Heights Utilities will be flushing hydrants today through Oct. 26. The rural area will be flushed the following week. Customers may experience some discoloration.
* The Linton-Stockton Board of School Trustees will meet at 6 p.m. in executive session, and will be followed at 7:30 p.m. by the regular board meeting in the administration center.
* County Road 200E, north of State Road 58 will be permanently closed starting today as part of the Interstate 69 construction project, according to an announcement by Greene County Highway Superintendent Brent Murray. The road is currently heavily used by commuters to NSA Crane, he said.
Tuesday, Oct. 16
* Lyons Senior Center will host the Country Travelers Band from 5 to 8 p.m. A dinner of beans and cornbread will be available by donation only.
* The Linton Public Library will be offering a free showing "The Avengers" at 5 p.m. The move is PG13, so anyone under 13 must be accompanied by an adult. Popcorn and a drink will be provided for free. The movie is 143 minutes long.
Wednesday, Oct. 17
* The Dugger Lodge No. 721 F&AM will work in the FC Degree at 7 p.m., with dinner at 6 p.m. Visiting brethren welcome.
* The Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library main branch will have Tots Time at 10:30 a.m. for ages 2-3 years. The Theme will be "Dogs and Cats". The program is free and no registration is required.
Thursday, Oct. 18
* The Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library main branch will have Preschool Storytime, at 10:30 a.m. for ages 4-6 years. The theme will be "Silly Monsters". Preschool Storytime is the first and third Thursday of each month, September - December and February -- April, for ages 4-6 years. The program is free and no registration is required.
Friday, Oct. 19
* Koleen Ladies's Aid will be hosting a bean supper at the Church. Serving will begin at 4 p.m. with the menu of ham and beans, cornbread, slaw, fried potatoes, desert, tea, lemonade and coffee. Free will offering. Any question, call 384-8516
* There will be a benefit haystack supper at the Freedom Country Store, located five miles south of Freedom on Highway 231. The event will start at 4:30 p.m., with all you can eat haystack meal, with home baked pie and ice cream. All proceeds will benefit Hilltop Christian School.
* The Greene County Shrine Club will be hsoting a fish fry at 6 p.m. The public is welcome.
* The first annual Big Barn Dance featuring Celtic and Old-Time fiddler Emily Ann Thompson will be held Friday from 6 to 9 p.m. in Jasonville. The Up Right Studio and the Carnegie Heritage and Arts Center of Greene County are sponsoring the event which will include campfire supper, concert and square dancing with caller Ken Gall. The location and directions are included on the tickets available at Markle's Music, Charlotte's Unique Boutique, Shield's Hardward (plumbing) Store and the Carnegie Arts Center (old library bldg). Prices are $10 for adults, $5 for children under 12 and $20 for a family ticket (2 adults and their children). Also call or email 798-0910, firstname.lastname@example.org.
* There will be an evening of country and gospel music, featuring Nashville recording artist Daniel Marion Hobbs, at the Greene County 4-H Fairgrounds. Doors will open at 5:30 p.m., with a hog roast dinner at 6 p.m. The meal and entertainment will be $15, and $7 for ages 5-12. Entertainment only is $10. For tickets contact Susie Ferguson at 812-617-0624. Tickets will be held at the door. There will be a limited number of tickets available at the door.
Saturday, Oct. 20
* The Class of 1972 reunion will be held at the Dugger Park at 5 p.m. Bring a covered dish and drink.
* WRV Community Football League High School Team Homecomeing will be held at 10 a.m. in Worthington at the field behind the WRV-Worthington Elementary. At half-time of the high school team's game we will be honoring players, parents, and seniors. Please come out and support our team on this special event. For questions you can call 812-227-0136.
* The Linton-Stockton High School Band and Miner Kadets will be visiting your neighborhood from 9 a.m. to noon to sell trash bags in support of the LSHS band program. If we miss you, please call 847-6022, ext. 309 to place an order.
* Greene County Right to Life's annual pro-life dinner is 6:30 p.m. at the Knights of Columbus in Linton. State Rep. Sue Ellspermann who is running for Lt. Gov will be the keynote speaker. Call Joyce at 384-4244 or email email@example.com to reserve tickets.
* Greene County Coin Club will host its annual show at the 4-H Building from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m.. Call 384-8516 for more information.
Monday, Oct. 22
* The Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library main branch will host Monster Week, Oct. 22-27. Children are invited to come in anytime during the week and do some silly monster activities. Be careful the "Librarian from the Black Lagoon" doesn't spot you or you might get Laminated! Watch for a ghostly scavenger hunt also.
* The Linton Public Library is starting two new monthly clubs for teens, beginning today. The two clubs are a Photography Club, which will meet at 4:30 p.m., and a Creative Writing Club, which will meet at 5:15 p.m. on the same day. All teens are welcome to come to one or both of the groups.
Tuesday, Oct. 23
* The Greene County Republican Women's club will meet at 6:30 p.m. at the Bloomfield Community Building (Jaycee) on Lincoln Dr. Please bring a dish to share. Everyone is welcome.
* The Carnegie Heritage and Arts Center invites you to show some of your art work in our third annual Fall Open Show. Bring as many as four pieces of work to the Carnegie between today and Wednesday, October 24, between the hours of 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. The artwork must be ready to hang (wire hangers), original work, signed by the creator. We will hang at least one piece by each entering artist, more if space allows. Paintings, drawings, photography, handcrafts, sculpture will all be welcome. Entries will be juried by our board members. If you have questions, call the Carnegie Center, (847-0165); or Board President Donna Kluesner (847-8402); or Norma J. Witherspoon (847-9429).
* The Eastern Greene High School JAG program is hosting a blood drive from 8 a.m. until 1:30 p.m.
Wednesday, Oct. 24
* The Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library main branch will have Tots Time, at 10:30 a.m. for ages 2-3 years. The Theme will be "Apples and Pumpkins". The program is free and no registration is required.
* The WRV Junior Parents will host a bingo at the Lyons Community Building at 6:30 p.m. It will feature Longerberger Baskets, pottery and tools. Tickets are $10 for 20 games. Advance tickets can be purchased from any WRV Junior Parent or call 384-5594. Advance tickets purchased prior to the door will be placed in an Early Bird Drawing for a piece of the new Longaberger Flameware.
Thursday, Oct. 25
* A special program for grades K-5 will be at 4 p.m. at the Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library main branch. The program is called Zombies, Mummies and Creatures, Oh My! Play awful games, make ugly crafts, hear spooky stories and have disgusting snacks. There is a limit of 24, so please pre-register. Reminder, this program is limited to grades K-5. Stop in or call 384-4125.
Friday, Oct. 26
* The Greene County Shrine Club will be hosting a free Kids Halloween Party. There will be hot dogs and treats starting at 6 p.m. There will be a prize for best costume, hayrides from 7:30 to 9 p.m., a haunted trail from 9 to 10:30 p.m. and fireworks at 10:30 p.m. This is open to the public.
Saturday, Oct. 27
* The Greene County Shrine Club will host an adult Halloween Party, starting at 8 p.m. Local band Addiction will play at 9 p.m. Open to the public with a $5 cover. Prizes will be given for the best costumes.
Sunday, Oct. 28
* The Greene County Shrine Club will have a spot shoot, with sign up at 8 a.m. and the first shot at 10 a.m. It is $2 per round, with turkey, ham and bacon . Open to the public.
Wednesday, Oct. 31
* Applications for low-income families to obtain clothing and toys for their children at Christmas are available now, continuing until October 31, 2012 at the following locations: Greene County Division of Family Resources ( 104 CR 70E, Bloomfield), Linton-Stockton Chamber of Commerce (159 1st St. NW), Bloomfield Town Hall (12 E. Main), Jasonville Utility Office (304 W. Main), Worthington Town Hall (SR 67).
Thursday, Nov. 1
* The Linton Elks will be hosting a Charity Basket Bingo at the Lodge, located on SR 54 E. The doors will open at 5 p.m. and the bingo will start at 6 p.m. Food will be served. Cost is $10 per packet, and donations will benefit cancer research. For advanced tickets call the Linton Elks at 847-4903 or Pomp's Tire at 847-4469.
Saturday, Nov. 3
* Solsberry United Church will be hosting a Fall Bazaar from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Breakfast will be served from 8 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., with pancakes and sausage. Lunch will be from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., and include beans and cornbread or chili. A snack will include pie and coffee. There will be a bake sale, crafts, household items, toys, christmas decorations, homemade beets, pickles and apple butter.
Sunday, Nov. 4
* The Shakamak Junior Class Parents are hosting the first ever 5K Zombie Obstacle Race at Shakamak State Park. You can run as a zombie or from the zombies. The event starts at 2 p.m. It is $20 for early registration by Oct. 28 and $25 for late registration. Get your registration forms from the Shakamak High School Office or print them from www.shakamak.k12.in.us or from the Shakamak Junior Class Parents' Facebook page. Call 665-3550 ext. 315 for questions.
Saturday, Nov. 10
* The Worthington Downtown Merchants are going to be hosting the annual Christmas Open House from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mr. and Mrs. Claus will be at City Hall. Door prizes and specials will be available at each of the participating businesses the day of the event.
Monday, Nov. 19
* The Lyons Senior Center will host a basket bingo at the Lyons Community Building at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $10, and early-bird tickets are available to be entered to win a 2010 red and blue basket. Food will be served.
Thursday, Nov. 22
* The Linton First Christian Church in Linton will be offering a free Thanksgiving dinner from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. There is no reservation needed, and delivery or transportation requests must be made starting Nov. 1. Deliveries will be made to the city limits of Linton, Bloomfield, Dugger, Jasonville, Switz City, Lyons, Worthington and Sandborn. The meal will include turkey, ham and all the trimmings free to everyone. For more information or to schedule transportation or delivery call 847-9535.
* Eastern Heights Utilities will be flushing hydrants today through Oct. 26. The rural area will be flushed the following week. Customers may experience some discoloration.
* Friends of the Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library are sponsoring a Book Sale Bonanza. They will be selling donated books, tapes, and special items at half price throughout the entire month of October. The sale items are located in three areas upstairs in the adult department at the main library, 125 S. Franklin Street. Sale hours are the same as regular library hours: Monday -- Thursday 10 a.m. -- 8 p.m., Friday and Saturday 10 a.m. -- 5 p.m. Come back often, as new items will be added daily as space allows. All you can get in a bag for $2 on October 31.
* The Worthington Senior Center will be hosting a Euchre Tournament Tuesday nights at 7 p.m.
* Generations is offering A Matter of Balance class at Greene County Extension Office (conference room), Hwy. 54, Switz City, on Tuesday evenings. A Matter of Balance is anprogram where older adults learn to make changes to reduce fall risks at home and exercise to increase strength and balance. Classes will be held once a week on Tuesdays from 5:50 to 7:30 p.m. through October 30. This program is offered free of charge. To reserve a spot, call Sandy Carpenter at 812-847-7360.
* Greene County Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry (FHFH) Ministry is holding a Deer Drive this year to help fight hunger in Greene County. Each deer donated enters you for a chance to win a tree stand. All processing fees are paid for by FHFH. All you need to do is take your harvested deer to Bloomfield Processing Inc., located on HWY 54 West of Bloomfield and tell them you want to donate it to FHFH. All donated deer are processed into one pound packages of ground burger, then distributed to local food pantries and feeding missions. For more information please contact Brady Miller at 812-876-9699, call Bloomfield Processing 812-384-4512 for business hours during season. Food pantries please call Brady Miller if you would like some of the donated venison for your feeding ministry. Anyone wishing to donate funding to help us pay for the processing can also contact Brady Miller.
* The Linton Public Library is now operating at its winter hours: Monday through Thursday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Friday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Sunday closed.
* The Worthington First Baptist Church, located at the corner of Park and Dayton Sts., will host youth groups every Tuesday from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Kid's Club (4-years-old to fifth grade) will meet in the church and Four12 (sixth to 12th grade) will meet in the fellowship hall. For more information call 798-2870 or 798-2871.
* Worthington First Baptist Church will offer four women's studies a month, starting in October. Studies will include Nearing Home, Taming the Tongue, So long and Security, and Expecting to see Jesus. Please contact Joyce Ann for more information at 798-2871.
* The Worthington Senior Center will start a Euchre Club on Tuesday nights at 7 p.m. The club will play 10 to 12 games each night.
* Mercy's Road Full Gospel Church services will be each Thursday at 7 p.m. at Coalmont Church. Call 699-1095 for more information.
* Bloomfield American Legion Memorial Post No. 196 is hosting Bingo every Thursday night at 5 p.m., with winner take all.
* Taylor Township Board will host its regular meetings on the second Wednesday of each month at 6 p.m. at the Scotland Fire Station beginning in May.
* The VFW Ladies Auxiliary Post 7118 of Linton will meet the first Monday of each month.
* Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library will be selling audio books on cassette for 50 cents each. You will find the books upstairs in the main library, located at 125 S. Franklin St. in Bloomfield. Books may be opened any time the library is open. Operating hours are Monday-Thursday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* There is a new website open to the public. The site, greene.in.wthgis.com, has information on Greene County properties, including taxes owed and paid, assessed values, and the different number and types of deductions applied to the property itself, among others. Please log on and take a look.
* Pastor Samuel Hill invites you to a gospel singing at Hobbieville Christian Church the second Saturday of each month at 6 p.m. Different groups will sing each week. There will be food served and a good time of fellowship.
* A steering committee has been meeting in an effort to form an Eastern Greene Alumni Association. There is now an alumni tab on the school's website, www.egreene.k12.in.us. For those without Internet access, registration forms are available in the district's central office. For more information call (812) 825-5722.
* The Alzheimer's Support Group will meet the first Monday of each month at the Switz City Christian Church at 6 p.m. If you have any questions please call Linda at 798-1589.
* The Linton 12th Street Church of God will have Bible study every Thursday night in the Fellowship Hall at 7 p.m. with coffee and snacks.
* The Hobbieville Christian Fellowship Church will host a gospel sing the second Saturday of each month at 6 p.m. There will be food served.
* Meals on Wheels is now available at the Lyons Senior Citizens Center starting at 11:30 a.m. Please call 847-3509 the day before you plan to attend. For those who are homebound and need meals delivered, call 2-1-1 or 1-800-742-9002.
* Books for Babies is a national literacy program that acquaints parents and newborns with the important role they play in the development of their children. Parents are presented with a Books for Babies kit containing a book, baby's first library card and brochures with reading tips for parents and caregivers. If you are a new mother and a resident of Greene County in one of the following townships -- Richland, Highland, Taylor, Beech Creek, Center or Jackson -- you are eligible for a free gift for you and your baby. Please bring your baby in "to show him/her off" to the circulation desk in the Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library, 125 Franklin St. in Bloomfield to receive your free gift.
* Bingo at the American Legion in Worthington is on Fridays. Doors open at 4:30 p.m. with games at 6:15 p.m. This is open to the public. Cost is $30 for 15 games All proceeds go to the Worthington American Legion. This event is non-smoking with breaks made for smokers to go outdoors.
* A 12-Step Overcomers Recovery Support meeting is every Wednesday at the Family Life Center on the east side of the square in Bloomfield from 7:30-8:30 p.m. Come and join us to overcome life-controlling problems of all sorts with Bible principles, prayer, memory verses and weekly support. Call Instructor Tom Jacob for more information at 384-6321.
* The Lyons Community Food Pantry at 150 East Broad Street (the old fire station) will be open from 4-6 p.m. the third Monday of every month, and the first Saturday of the month from 10 a.m. to noon. The pantry serves zip codes 47443, 47449, and 47465.
* The Worthington Park Board will host meetings at 6 p.m. on each first Wednesday of the month at the Worthington Municipal Building in downtown Worthington. The public is welcome to attend.
* Mineral United Methodist Church will have Bible study from 7 - 8 p.m. on the second, third and fourth Wednesdays of the month.
* Faith Community Church cookbooks are available for $10 and can be purchased at Richard Brown Insurance or call 847-4798.
* Hobbieville Christian Fellowship Church will have a gospel singing at 6 p.m. on the second Saturday of each month. The public is invited.
* The Back Door Food Pantry is open from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. on the third Saturday of the month.
* Narcotics Anonymous will meet Saturdays at 7 p.m. at the Trinity Lutheran Church on State Road 54 East. There will be open discussion and all are welcome.
* Lebanon Baptist Food Pantry will only be open on the fourth Thursday of each month from 6-7:30 p.m.
* The Refuge Assembly of God food pantry will be open every Wednesday from 1-5 p.m. to assist those living in Bloomfield. To donate, please contact Trina at 384-8093 during the pantry's open hours.
* The Mineral Christian Men's Group meets at 8 a.m. every third Saturday of the month at the Mineral Community Building.
* House of Grace Coffee House will offer fellowship, food, worship and youth classes. The church is located at 792 S. Section St. in Dugger.
* The Pleasantville United Methodist Church food pantry is now open on the second and fourth Saturdays of the month from 10:30 a.m. - noon.
* The Lyons First Christian Church youth group meets at 6 p.m. on Mondays at the church's East Broad Street location.