Tuesday, Nov. 13
* The parent program for Bloomfield Students for Body Safety is at 7 p.m. in the Bloomfield High School cafeteria. Sgt. Terry Hall is the presenter. There will be drawings for an athletic pass, concession passes and T-shirts. Sgt. Hall gives information to help parents keep their children safe and does a great job telling about ways that predators find information about kids online. We hope you will take advantage of this opportunity. The Body Safety program will be presented to Bloomfield students on Wednesday, November 14.
* The Linton-Stockton Chamber of Commerce member meeting will be held at 5:30pm @ the Old Bank; Greene County Tobacco Cessation will be sharing with members about their vision for Greene County and will also be bringing No Smoking signs. Cost is $10 for meal, drink, tax & gratuity. The public is invited. RSVP at 847-4846 by Nov 12th
* Due to observing Veterans Day on Monday, November 12th the Jasonville City Council will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Civic Center, located at 145 South Lawton Street. Utility Boards will meet at 6:00 PM.
* Bloomfield Chapter 847 of the National Active and Retired Federal Employees (NARFE) will meet at Stoll's Restaurant at Linton. A luncheon will begin at 11:30 a.m. and the business meeting will follow at 12:30. Guest speaker will be a BCBS representative who will explain FEHBP changes and costs for 2013. NARFE meetings are open to both current and retired federal employees and their spouses.
* Linton City Council will have their monthly meeting at 6 p.m. There will be a special meeting at 3 p.m. for a bid opening and approval of administrative contract with SIDC for the Wastewater Treatment Plant Improvement Project.
Wednesday, Nov. 14
* The Linton Public Library will host a free family movie night from 5-7:30 p.m. The movie will be The Amazing Spider-man. There will be free popcorn and a drink.
This is a PG-13 movie. Anyone under the age of 13 must be accompanied by an adult.
Thursday, Nov. 15
* There will be a community pep session at Linton-Stockton High School Gym at 7:45 p.m. Come out and cheer on the Miner Football team to State.
* The White River Valley Board of School Trustees will meet in regular session at 7 p.m. in the board room at the WRV Junior-Senior High School at Switz City. The public meeting will be preceded by an executive session at 5:30 p.m. to discuss collective bargaining, to receive information about an individual's alleged misconduct; and for the discussion of records classified as confidential by state and federal statute.
* The Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library main branch will have Preschool Storytime at 10:30 a.m. for ages 4-6 years. The theme will be "Silly Monsters". Preschool Storytime is the first and third Thursday of each month, September - December and February -- April, for ages 4-6 years. The program is free and no registration is required.
* Bloomfield High School's Strut & Fret will present Bye, Bye Birdie today through Sunday y at 7:30 p.m., and Sunday at 2:30 p.m. The musical will be at Shawnee Theatre. For tickets, please contact Tena Edwards, email@example.com or 384-4301 before 9 p.m. Tickets are adults $10 and students K-12 $5, and pre-school free.
* Jasonville F & AM Lodge No. 530 will confer work in the FC degree. Meal will be at 6 p.m. Work will begin at 7 p.m. All visiting Brethren are welcome.
* The Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library will have a rescheduled meeting today.
Friday, Nov. 16
* New Life Church, located at 1803 E. Vaile Ave. in Kokomo, is hosting a Creative Ministry Solutions Regional Puppet Festival today and tomorrow. The festival will feature One Way Street training, resources and products. Registration discounted rates apply only to paid registrations received 14 days prior to the festival. For more information visit www.creativemin.com/category/fall or call New Life Church at 765-459-5067.
Saturday, Nov. 17
* There will be a benefit dinner for John "Newt" Myers at the Richland Fire Station (located by the car wash in Bloomfield) from 4 to 8 p.m. There will be chili, beans, fried potatoes, cornbread and desserts by donation. There will be a silent auction, raffle items, a 50/50 drawing, and a muzzleloader being raffled.
* The Psi Iota Xi Breakfast will be at the Roy Clark Community Building in Linton's Humphrey's Park from 6 to 11 a.m. The menu will include pancakes, sausage, biscuits and gravy, juice and coffee. Carry-out available. Admission is $6.50 for adults and $3.50 for children under 10. Proceeds will benefit local scholarships.
* A&E Salvage and Green Geek Recycling are encouraging all to keep Greene County Green by cleaning up and bringing your recyclable items at the first ever "Linton Recycles Day" from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at A&E Salvage on CR 250 N in Linton. Bring your electronic waste, i.e., tv's, computers, monitors, dvd players, etc. for Green Geek Recycling. Bring your scrap for cash -- items such as aluminum cans, tin cans, appliances, cars (with title), copper items and more! A&E strives to be a one-stop recycling shop and will also be accepting household recyclables such as cardboard, plastic, newspaper, batteries and more.
* The Wabash Valley Antique Bottle and Pottery Club presents the 15th anniversary Illiana Antique Bottle and Pottery Show and Sale at the Shadow Auction Barn, located at 1517 Maple Avenue in Terre Haute. Show hours are 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., with free admission. There will be a special event Friday at 7 p.m., the Historical Bottle and Pottery Auction. Any further information contact Ed Newman at 812-235-2712.
* The Solsberry American Legion Post No. 450, the Sons of the Legion and the Legion Auxiliary will have the annual Thanksgiving dinner at the post home. There will be a carry-in dinner at 6 p.m. Bring food and your own table service. There will be a silent auction and door prizes. All members, families and friends are invited.
* The Worthington Garden Club will be serving lunch by donation. There will be soup and desserts at the Senior Center.
* Tri Kappa, Delta Nu Chapter will be holding their annual Holiday Bake sale from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Municipal building in downtown Worthington. Featured will be Cheese balls, Uncle Al's variety of nuts and yummy home baked goods and candy. Warm cider will also be served.
* Friendly Grove Baptist Church invites the community to our annual Turkey Supper and gospel concert at 6 p.m. It has been our honor to serve our community and this is a way for us to say thank you. This supper is completely free and everyone is welcome to join us. After supper the Christian Cavaliers of Columbus, Ind. will be putting on a concert that is sure to be a blessing. For directions or more information please call Pastor Jason Hill at 812-239-6843 or visit us on the web at www.friendlygrove.org.
* The SAVE Holiday Craft Bazaar will take place from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Eastern Greene Middle School cafeteria and multi-purpose room. All proceeds will benefit the Students Against Violence Everywhere (SAVE). Concessions will be open. The cost of a 12-foot space is $15 and must be reserved by Nov. 9. Make checks payable to Gina Henderson, Eastern Greene SAVE, 10503 E. SR 54, Bloomfield, Ind. 47424 or call 812-825-5010 ext 1904.
Sunday, Nov. 18
* The American Legion Post No. 22 in Linton is having Thanksgiving Dinner for all Legionairs, Auxiliary, SAL and their immediate families at the Legion Hall, serving from noon to 2 p.m.
Monday, Nov. 19
* The Linton-Stockton Board of School Trustees will meet at 6 p.m. in executive session, followed by the regular meeting at 7:30 p.m. in the Administrative Building.
* The annual Greene County Extension Homemakers Fall Gathering at the Greene County Extension office. The event will follow the the Council meeting and begin at 11:30 a.m. with a carry-in luncheon, followed by a tour of the Shawnee Festival of Trees and musical selections by a local choir.
* The Lyons Senior Center will host a basket bingo at the Lyons Community Building at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $10, and early-bird tickets are available to be entered to win a 2010 red and blue basket. Food will be served.
Tuesday, Nov. 20
* The Dugger Church of Christ will be having the Community Thanksgiving Worship Service at 6 p.m. There will be Acappella Music Specials and Congretional Singing. There will be pie and coffee following the service. Everyone is welcome.
Thursday, Nov. 22
* The Linton First Christian Church in Linton will be offering a free Thanksgiving dinner from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. There is no reservation needed, and delivery or transportation requests must be made starting Nov. 1. Deliveries will be made to the city limits of Linton, Bloomfield, Dugger, Jasonville, Switz City, Lyons, Worthington and Sandborn. The meal will include turkey, ham and all the trimmings free to everyone. For more information or to schedule transportation or delivery call 847-9535.
Saturday, Nov. 24
* Santa will be visiting Linton at the Santa House located on N. Main Street at the Rotary Park starting the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Come share your wish list with Santa on from 1 to 5 p.m.! Santa will also be there Saturday, Dec. 8 from 2 to 5 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 15 from 6 to 8 p.m., Sunday, Dec. 16 from 2 to 7 p.m. with hot chocolate and coffee Saturday, Dec. 22 from 1 to 4 p.m.
Tuesday, Nov. 27
* Teen Movie Night at The Linton Public Library. We will be showing "Brave" at 5:30 p.m. Free drink and popcorn.
Thursday, Nov. 29
* Greene County Memory Makers Quilt Guild will hold its monthly meeting at the Bloomfield Public Library community room at 6:30 p.m. Rhonda Burch will be in charge of the monthly hostess program. Call Loretta Crody @ 812-798-2132 if you have questions or need directions.
Saturday, Dec. 1
* The Bloomfield Lions Club will be selling 20 pound boxes of oranges and grapefruits for $18 per box and we will deliver anywhere in Greene County. Expected delivery date is the first week in December. Please call Jeff Schafer at 812-650-0277 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The Indiana Rail Road Santa Train will be in Greene County today. It will stop at the Yoho Store in Solsberry between 8:30 a.m. and 10 a.m.; Bloomfield on Seminary Street from 11 a.m. to noon; SE C St. in Linton 1:30 to 3 p.m.; Main St. in Dugger 4 to 5 p.m.; and at the City Park in Jasonville 6 to 7 p.m.
Monday, Dec. 3
* All teens are cordially invited to a Hobbit Party at the Linton Public Library at 5 p.m. There will be Hobbit trivia, games, prizes and cake. Costumes are welcome, but not required. Frodo will be there (and I hear he is bringing a date.)
Saturday, Dec. 8
The annual meeting of the Friends of Goose Pond will be at The Old Bank restaurant in Linton. The dinner/meeting will be at 6 p.m. A buffet meal will be offered at a cost of $15 (plus tax and gratuity). Barb Simpson, Executive Director of the Indiana Wildlife Federation, will be our guest speaker. Election of officers for the coming year will also be conducted. If you wish to attend, RSVP to email@example.com
Sunday, Dec. 9
* Pleasant Grove Farm in Lyons debuts its 2012 Christmas Lights Musical at 6 p.m. Hours are nightly Dec. 9 to 26 from 6 to 8 p.m. for the Traditional Show and 8 to 10 p.m. for a Contemporary Show. Also, a Patriotic Show will be nightly from Dec. 27 to Jan. 1 from 6 to 10 p.m.
Wednesday, Dec. 12
* State Farm, at 1220 A Street NE Linton, is having a dedicated Blood Drive from noon to 4 p.m., in memory of Vince "Chip" Felton who lost his fight with Mesothelioma on October 25, 2012. Please join us in raising your sleeve to honor Chip.
* Linton Tri Kappa has cheese balls for sale. Cheese balls rolled in pecans are $6.50 and plain cheese balls are $6. Contact Jessica Shake at 384-5911, Lisa Steward at 847-7319, Beth Gillan at 847-2010, or any Tri Kappa member to order.
* In order to raise funds for the prospective splash pad at Linton's Humphreys Park there will be calendars representing Old Time Linton for sale for $10. The calendars will be available at Shield's Hardware, Markle Music and Linton Saron Church. For more information call 847-7345.
* The Worthington American Legion Auxiliary Unit No. 106 will host Bingo every Friday night. Doors will open at 4 p.m. and Bingo will start at 6:15 p.m. We have everything you need to play, including game sheets and daubers. Food is available for sale during each session.
* The Children's Organ Transplant Association (COTA) is in search of donations for a life-saving heart transplant for Katelyn Newell. Any donations can be sent to Children's Organ Translpant Association, 2501 W. COTA Drive, Bloomington, Ind. 47403. Checks or money orders should be made payable to COTA, with "In honor of Katelyn N" in the memo line. Donations can also be made online at www.COTAforKatelynN.com.
* The Bloomfield Eastern Greene Public Library will be hosting a banned book club the first Friday of every month at 5 p.m. in the Community Room. The first book, in November, will be The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
* Eastern Heights Utilities will be flushing hydrants through Oct. 26. The rural area will be flushed the following week. Customers may experience some discoloration.
* Friends of the Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library are sponsoring a Book Sale Bonanza. They will be selling donated books, tapes, and special items at half price throughout the entire month of October. The sale items are located in three areas upstairs in the adult department at the main library, 125 S. Franklin Street. Sale hours are the same as regular library hours: Monday -- Thursday 10 a.m. -- 8 p.m., Friday and Saturday 10 a.m. -- 5 p.m. Come back often, as new items will be added daily as space allows. All you can get in a bag for $2 on October 31.
* The Worthington Senior Center will be hosting a Euchre Tournament Tuesday nights at 6:30 p.m.
* Generations is offering A Matter of Balance class at Greene County Extension Office (conference room), Hwy. 54, Switz City, on Tuesday evenings. A Matter of Balance is anprogram where older adults learn to make changes to reduce fall risks at home and exercise to increase strength and balance. Classes will be held once a week on Tuesdays from 5:50 to 7:30 p.m. through October 30. This program is offered free of charge. To reserve a spot, call Sandy Carpenter at 812-847-7360.
* Greene County Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry (FHFH) Ministry is holding a Deer Drive this year to help fight hunger in Greene County. Each deer donated enters you for a chance to win a tree stand. All processing fees are paid for by FHFH. All you need to do is take your harvested deer to Bloomfield Processing Inc., located on HWY 54 West of Bloomfield and tell them you want to donate it to FHFH. All donated deer are processed into one pound packages of ground burger, then distributed to local food pantries and feeding missions. For more information please contact Brady Miller at 812-876-9699, call Bloomfield Processing 812-384-4512 for business hours during season. Food pantries please call Brady Miller if you would like some of the donated venison for your feeding ministry. Anyone wishing to donate funding to help us pay for the processing can also contact Brady Miller.
* The Linton Public Library is now operating at its winter hours: Monday through Thursday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Friday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Sunday closed.
* The Worthington First Baptist Church, located at the corner of Park and Dayton Sts., will host youth groups every Tuesday from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Kid's Club (4-years-old to fifth grade) will meet in the church and Four12 (sixth to 12th grade) will meet in the fellowship hall. For more information call 798-2870 or 798-2871.
* Worthington First Baptist Church will offer four women's studies a month, starting in October. Studies will include Nearing Home, Taming the Tongue, So long and Security, and Expecting to see Jesus. Please contact Joyce Ann for more information at 798-2871.
* The Worthington Senior Center will start a Euchre Club on Tuesday nights at 7 p.m. The club will play 10 to 12 games each night.
* Mercy's Road Full Gospel Church services will be each Thursday at 7 p.m. at Coalmont Church. Call 699-1095 for more information.
* Bloomfield American Legion Memorial Post No. 196 is hosting Bingo every Thursday night at 5 p.m., with winner take all.
* Taylor Township Board will host its regular meetings on the second Wednesday of each month at 6 p.m. at the Scotland Fire Station beginning in May.
* The VFW Ladies Auxiliary Post 7118 of Linton will meet the first Monday of each month.
* Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library will be selling audio books on cassette for 50 cents each. You will find the books upstairs in the main library, located at 125 S. Franklin St. in Bloomfield. Books may be opened any time the library is open. Operating hours are Monday-Thursday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* There is a new website open to the public. The site, greene.in.wthgis.com, has information on Greene County properties, including taxes owed and paid, assessed values, and the different number and types of deductions applied to the property itself, among others. Please log on and take a look.
* Pastor Samuel Hill invites you to a gospel singing at Hobbieville Christian Church the second Saturday of each month at 6 p.m. Different groups will sing each week. There will be food served and a good time of fellowship.
* A steering committee has been meeting in an effort to form an Eastern Greene Alumni Association. There is now an alumni tab on the school's website, www.egreene.k12.in.us. For those without Internet access, registration forms are available in the district's central office. For more information call (812) 825-5722.
* The Alzheimer's Support Group will meet the first Monday of each month at the Switz City Christian Church at 6 p.m. If you have any questions please call Linda at 798-1589.
* The Linton 12th Street Church of God will have Bible study every Thursday night in the Fellowship Hall at 7 p.m. with coffee and snacks.
* The Hobbieville Christian Fellowship Church will host a gospel sing the second Saturday of each month at 6 p.m. There will be food served.
* Meals on Wheels is now available at the Lyons Senior Citizens Center starting at 11:30 a.m. Please call 847-3509 the day before you plan to attend. For those who are homebound and need meals delivered, call 2-1-1 or 1-800-742-9002.
* Books for Babies is a national literacy program that acquaints parents and newborns with the important role they play in the development of their children. Parents are presented with a Books for Babies kit containing a book, baby's first library card and brochures with reading tips for parents and caregivers. If you are a new mother and a resident of Greene County in one of the following townships -- Richland, Highland, Taylor, Beech Creek, Center or Jackson -- you are eligible for a free gift for you and your baby. Please bring your baby in "to show him/her off" to the circulation desk in the Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library, 125 Franklin St. in Bloomfield to receive your free gift.
* Bingo at the American Legion in Worthington is on Fridays. Doors open at 4:30 p.m. with games at 6:15 p.m. This is open to the public. Cost is $30 for 15 games All proceeds go to the Worthington American Legion. This event is non-smoking with breaks made for smokers to go outdoors.
* A 12-Step Overcomers Recovery Support meeting is every Wednesday at the Family Life Center on the east side of the square in Bloomfield from 7:30-8:30 p.m. Come and join us to overcome life-controlling problems of all sorts with Bible principles, prayer, memory verses and weekly support. Call Instructor Tom Jacob for more information at 384-6321.
* The Lyons Community Food Pantry at 150 East Broad Street (the old fire station) will be open from 4-6 p.m. the third Monday of every month, and the first Saturday of the month from 10 a.m. to noon. The pantry serves zip codes 47443, 47449, and 47465.
* The Worthington Park Board will host meetings at 6 p.m. on each first Wednesday of the month at the Worthington Municipal Building in downtown Worthington. The public is welcome to attend.
* Mineral United Methodist Church will have Bible study from 7 - 8 p.m. on the second, third and fourth Wednesdays of the month.
* Faith Community Church cookbooks are available for $10 and can be purchased at Richard Brown Insurance or call 847-4798.
* Hobbieville Christian Fellowship Church will have a gospel singing at 6 p.m. on the second Saturday of each month. The public is invited.
* The Back Door Food Pantry is open from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. on the third Saturday of the month.
* Narcotics Anonymous will meet Saturdays at 7 p.m. at the Trinity Lutheran Church on State Road 54 East. There will be open discussion and all are welcome.
* Lebanon Baptist Food Pantry will only be open on the fourth Thursday of each month from 6-7:30 p.m.
* The Refuge Assembly of God food pantry will be open every Wednesday from 1-5 p.m. to assist those living in Bloomfield. To donate, please contact Trina at 384-8093 during the pantry's open hours.
* The Mineral Christian Men's Group meets at 8 a.m. every third Saturday of the month at the Mineral Community Building.
* House of Grace Coffee House will offer fellowship, food, worship and youth classes. The church is located at 792 S. Section St. in Dugger.
* The Pleasantville United Methodist Church food pantry is now open on the second and fourth Saturdays of the month from 10:30 a.m. - noon.
* The Lyons First Christian Church youth group meets at 6 p.m. on Mondays at the church's East Broad Street location.