[Nameplate] Overcast ~ 59°F  
High: 67°F ~ Low: 50°F
Saturday, Apr. 30, 2016

Center Township home destroyed in fire

Friday, November 30, 2012

HOBBIEVILLE---- A Center Township family had their home destroyed by a Thursday morning fire.

Center Fire Department responded to the structure fire of a mobile home on Hobbieville Road at approximately 11:16 a.m.

Upon arrival, heavy fire and smoke was showing from the mobile home owned by Charles and Melissa Porter, according to Center Township Fire Chief Jeremy Inman.

"Center Fire Department had two fire engines on scene in four minutes from dispatch, but because of the age of the mobile home the fire rapidly spread to the entire house. The home was a total loss and the all of the owner's belongings were lost," Inman told the Greene County Daily World.

The fire is believed to have been caused by the wood stove, but fire officials returned to the scene Friday for further investigation.

Center Fire Department was assisted by Owensburg Fire, Eastern Fire, Van Buren Fire and Greene County Ambulance.

One Center Township firefighter, Lt. A.J. Bowers, was slightly injured and transported by a fire rescue unit to IU Health Bloomington Hospital where he was treated and released.

Inman said the Porter family is in need of clothing for the family, including sizes: 18 month (Boy); 8-10 (Girls); 12-14 (Boys); 12-14 (Girls); size 5 women's jeans; size 36x32 men's jeans; men's XL shirt; size 7 women's pants; women's size small shirt.

Anyone wanting to make a donation can contact the American Red Cross disaster relief coordinator Dave Neal at (812) 798-6012.


Comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on gcdailyworld.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

The Porter Family is welcome to contact the Cheapo Depot and receive free clothing for all members of thier family. The Cheapo Depot is a Ministry of Apostolic Bibleway Church and is always willing and ready to help in situations like this.

-- Posted by MBM on Sun, Dec 2, 2012, at 7:31 PM


Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: