* Boy Scout Troop 464 from Bloomfield is having a fundraiser selling fresh Christmas Wreaths and a bake sale at Baeslers Market in Linton and Highway 54 west, 2 doors west of Austin Monuments from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Come and support the guys and purchase a wreath or baked goods to share with friends or shut-ins this time of year.
* The Linton VFW will have their annual Christmas dinner at 12:30 p.m. All VFW, Auxiliary and Men's Auxiliary welcome.
* The annual meeting of the Friends of Goose Pond will be on Dec. 8th at The Old Bank restaurant in Linton. The dinner/meeting will begin at 6 p.m. A buffet meal will be offered at a cost of $15 (plus tax and gratuity). Barb Simpson, Executive Director of the Indiana Wildlife Federation, will be our guest speaker. Members present will be voting for the slate of officers for our organization for the coming year. If you would like to attend, kindly RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Santa Claus will be at the Linton Fire Department from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. How Charming Photography will be taking photos during the event. Bring along a non-perishable food item and receive a free 4x6 photo. Food items received will be donated to the Linton Community Food Pantry. (Limit one free photo per family). Additional photos may be purchased for $2 for 4x6, $4 for 5x7, and $6 for an 8x10 on the day of the event. Prints will be available for pick up at Charlotte's Unique Boutique beginning Friday, December 14.
* Hobbieville Christian Fellowship Gospel sing will be at the fellowship, just off SR 54 E in Greene County. The sing will begin at 6 p.m. Bring your favorite Christmas finger food and your voices to join in a time of fellowship honoring and praising God as we celebrate Christ's Holy Birth.
* The Lyons Senior Center will be hosting a Holiday in Unity show at the Lyons Community Building from 6 to 8 p.m. Acts will include Mike Brown, Bloomfield Center Stage, local church groups and school choirs. There will be sloppy joes, coney dogs and hotdogs by donation.
* The Linton Public Library will be hosting a Snow Globe Craft Program from noon to 1:30 p.m. Come make a home made snow globe for yourself or to give away as a present. The charge is $3 for the program, and you must sign up at the circulation desk. Children under the age of 10 must be accompanied by an adult.
Sunday, Dec. 9
* The Compassionate Friends will not be having their monthly meeting this month due to our Candle Lighting and Remembrance program that will be held at 6:30 p.m. in the Washington Community Building. Our monthly meetings will resume on Sunday, January 13th. For more information, you may call our new contact number at 812-582-3920.
* Hendricksville Area Association Monthly Fund Raiser Breakfast 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. at the Community Center, Highway 43, Hendricksville, In. Breakfast to benefit the Hendricksville Area Association for various community projects. Menu includes: Bacon, Ham, Sausage, Eggs, omelets (no Western), biscuits and gravy, fried potatoes, pancakes, french toast. Come join us.
* Faith Community Church Choir will present a Christmas Musical, "Heaven's Child" on Sunday, December 9 at 6:00 p.m. There will be a time of fellowship after the service. Everyone is invited to attend. It is free to the public and the church is wheelchair accessible. Faith Community Church is located on Highway 159, between Dugger and Pleasantville. Come and share a time of remembering the real reason for Christmas. Jesus was born to become the Redeemer of the world.
* The Dugger First Christian Church will present the play Bringing Christmas Home at 6 p.m. at the 8175 Main Street location. There will be fellowship to follow Cantata and Play. For more information contact Jerry Carmichael at 648-2323.
* Pleasant Grove Farm in Lyons debuts its 2012 Christmas Lights Musical at 6 p.m. Hours are nightly Dec. 9 to 26 from 6 to 8 p.m. for the Traditional Show and 8 to 10 p.m. for a Contemporary Show. Also, a Patriotic Show will be nightly from Dec. 27 to Jan. 1 from 6 to 10 p.m.
Monday, Dec. 10
* The Linton Board of Works will meet at 5:30 p.m. in the city hall. A public hearing regarding the proposed wastewater rate increase will be conducted at 6 p.m. with the regularly scheduled council meeting to follow.
* The Wood Club will meet at Shakamak Elementary School Library at 7 p.m. Call Herb Stowe at 847-4071 for more information.
* The Eastern Greene School Board will meet in executive session at 5:30 p.m., and the regular meeting will be held at 6 p.m. in the Eastern Greene Central Office Board Room.
* Scotland Cemetery Association will be at 7 p.m. at the Scotland Fire House.
* Randall Brown, the local Edward Jones financial advisor, is supporting the Greene County Toys for Tots program by using his office as a drop off point, located at 8 E. Main St. in Bloomfield. Donations will be accepted during normail business hours until today.
Tuesday, Dec. 11
* The meeting of the Executive Board of the Greene-Sullivan Special Education Cooperative will meet in Executive Session at 9 a.m. with the regular meeting to follow at 10:30 a.m. in the Conference Room at the Greene-Sullivan Special Education Cooperative, 77 A St., N.E., Linton.
* Bloomfield Chapter 847 of the National Active and Retired Federal Employees (NARFE) will meet at Stoll's Country Inn at Linton. A luncheon will begin at 11:30 a.m. and the business meeting will follow at 12:30. NARFE meetings are open to both current and retired federal employees and their spouses.
Wednesday, Dec. 12
* The Linton Public Library movie night will feature A Christmas Story 2 at 5 p.m., which is a PG movie. Free popcorn and drinks will be provided.
* State Farm, at 1220 A Street NE Linton, is having a dedicated Blood Drive from noon to 4 p.m., in memory of Vince "Chip" Felton who lost his fight with Mesothelioma on October 25, 2012. Please join us in raising your sleeve to honor Chip.
Wednesday, Dec. 12
* There will be a Painting Class featuring Acrylic Snow Scene at Carnegie Heritage and Arts Center at 6:30 p.m. The cost is $12 per person for ages 10 and over. Call 812-910-0472 to register or for more information.
* The Orange, Lawrence, Jackson, Martin and Greene Joint Services Superintendent's Governing Board meeting will be held in the Joint Service conference room, located at 1401 Fifteenth St., Bedford, Ind. The executive session will be held at 9:30 a.m. and the open session at 10 a.m.
* The Linton-Stockton Board of School Trustees will have two work sessions today, the first at 1:30 p.m. and the second at 6 p.m., both in the administration office.
Thursday, Dec. 13
* The MSD of Shakamak Board of School Trustees will be holding the regularly scheduled monthly meeting at 7 p.m. in the junior/senior high school media center. There will be an executive session at 6:30 p.m. in the Central Office Conference Room.
* The regular monthly meeting of the Greene County Sheriff's Merit Board will meet at 6 p.m. in the conference room at the Greene County Jail, located at 204 CR 70 E, at the east edge of Bloomfield.
Friday, Dec. 14
* The Linton Public Library will be closing at 2 p.m. today.
Saturday, Dec. 15
* Pleasantville United Methodist Church choir will present a Christmas Cantata at 7 p.m.
Sunday, Dec. 16
* The Bloomfield First Christian Church will present SILENT NIGHT! HOLY NIGHT! The miraculous story of Jesus' birth in music and word at 6:30 p.m. The church, located at the corner of Spring and Jefferson in Bloomfield, welcomes all to enjoy this inspirational Christmas Cantata and stay for fellowship following the presentation.
Wednesday, Dec. 19
* Lyons United Methodist church is having a Christmas program at 6:30 p.m., "I'm Praying For A White Christmas." Refreshments following the program. Everyone welcome.
Thursday, Dec. 20
* The Lyons Senior Center will host the Country Travellers Band from 5 to 8 p.m.
* The Roosevelt Mission Christmas Party for Needy Kids will take place at 7 p.m. at the 89 E. Vincennes St. location. To sign up, visit the mission between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday until Dec. 18. In order to prepare for the event, the mission is seeking donations of toys, stuffed animals, cookies, volunteers and monetary donations. The part will give presents to around 70 children ranging from newborn to 12-years-old that are not eligible for Toys for Tots. The mission will also need help wrapping presents Tuesday and Wednesday. For more information contact the Rev. Jerry French at 847-8110.
Friday, Dec. 21
The Linton-Stockton Junior Class is holding a fundraiser for the 2014 grand march and post prom. Jennie Sparks hand-made a stuffed Linton Miner Winter/Christmas Snowman. The junior class is selling raffle tickets in order to win the Snowman. Tickets are $1 a piece or six for $5. If you would like to purchase a ticket, please contact either Tami Sparks at 798-5277 or Olivia Sparks at 798-4710. The drawing will be held on Friday, Dec. 21st and the snowman can be delivered to your home in time for Christmas.
* There will be a series of free health and wellness classes using do Terra Essential Oils. Dec. 12 will be infant to teen health; Jan. 21 will be weight management and nutrition; Feb. 11 will be Women's Health; March 18 will be detox and cleanse. The classes will be held in the Jaycee Building in Bloomfield on Lincoln Street. For more information contact Claire at 812-227-1059.
* Generations' AngelWorx will be sponsoring the 4th annual Build-a-Basket to help provide for the basic needs of clients. Suggested basket items can include paper towels, dish soap, shampoo and conditioner, laundry detergent, calendar and much more. Items should be placed in a laundry basket, trash can or storage tub. Boxes can be dropped off until Dec. 14. Call Alma Kramer at email@example.com or 812-888-4527. Baskets can be dropped off at Bloomfield Senior Housing Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.; Jasonville Senior Center Monday, Wednesday and Friday 8 a.m. to noon; and Linton Glenburn Community and Wellness Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
* The 2013 Friends of Goose Pond calendar is now available. Calendars may be purchased at the GPFWA office from 8A-3P M-F. Cost is $10. Calendars may also be ordered (+S&H) via email sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
* The Linton Public Library now has Kill A Watt Meters available for patron checkout. Use these meters to track the energy use of household appliances in your home and to determine the actual cost of power consumed. Meters donated by REMC.
* The Lewis Township Ministerial Association will present a series of Advent Services, at 7 p.m. for each scheduling : Thurdsay, Nov. 29 at Coalmont Church of God; Wednesday, Dec. 5 at Wilson General Baptist; Wednesday, Dec. 12 at Shakamak Community Church; Wednesday, Dec. 19 at Friendly Grove Baptist Church.
* Linton Tri Kappa has cheese balls for sale. Cheese balls rolled in pecans are $6.50 and plain cheese balls are $6. Contact Jessica Shake at 384-5911, Lisa Steward at 847-7319, Beth Gillan at 847-2010, or any Tri Kappa member to order.
* In order to raise funds for the prospective splash pad at Linton's Humphreys Park there will be calendars representing Old Time Linton for sale for $10. The calendars will be available at Shield's Hardware, Markle Music and Linton Saron Church. For more information call 847-7345.
* The Worthington American Legion Auxiliary Unit No. 106 will host Bingo every Friday night. Doors will open at 4 p.m. and Bingo will start at 6:15 p.m. We have everything you need to play, including game sheets and daubers. Food is available for sale during each session.
* The Children's Organ Transplant Association (COTA) is in search of donations for a life-saving heart transplant for Katelyn Newell. Any donations can be sent to Children's Organ Translpant Association, 2501 W. COTA Drive, Bloomington, Ind. 47403. Checks or money orders should be made payable to COTA, with "In honor of Katelyn N" in the memo line. Donations can also be made online at www.COTAforKatelynN.com.
* The Bloomfield Eastern Greene Public Library will be hosting a banned book club the first Friday of every month at 5 p.m. in the Community Room.
* The Worthington Senior Center will be hosting a Euchre Tournament Tuesday nights at 6:30 p.m.
* Greene County Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry (FHFH) Ministry is holding a Deer Drive this year to help fight hunger in Greene County. Each deer donated enters you for a chance to win a tree stand. All processing fees are paid for by FHFH. All you need to do is take your harvested deer to Bloomfield Processing Inc., located on HWY 54 West of Bloomfield and tell them you want to donate it to FHFH. All donated deer are processed into one pound packages of ground burger, then distributed to local food pantries and feeding missions. For more information please contact Brady Miller at 812-876-9699, call Bloomfield Processing 812-384-4512 for business hours during season. Food pantries please call Brady Miller if you would like some of the donated venison for your feeding ministry. Anyone wishing to donate funding to help us pay for the processing can also contact Brady Miller.
* The Linton Public Library is now operating at its winter hours: Monday through Thursday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Friday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Sunday closed.
* The Worthington First Baptist Church, located at the corner of Park and Dayton Sts., will host youth groups every Tuesday from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Kid's Club (4-years-old to fifth grade) will meet in the church and Four12 (sixth to 12th grade) will meet in the fellowship hall. For more information call 798-2870 or 798-2871.
* Worthington First Baptist Church will offer four women's studies a month, starting in October. Studies will include Nearing Home, Taming the Tongue, So long and Security, and Expecting to see Jesus. Please contact Joyce Ann for more information at 798-2871.
* The Worthington Senior Center will start a Euchre Club on Tuesday nights at 7 p.m. The club will play 10 to 12 games each night.
* Mercy's Road Full Gospel Church services will be each Thursday at 7 p.m. at Coalmont Church. Call 699-1095 for more information.
* Bloomfield American Legion Memorial Post No. 196 is hosting Bingo every Thursday night at 5 p.m., with winner take all.
* Taylor Township Board will host its regular meetings on the second Wednesday of each month at 6 p.m. at the Scotland Fire Station beginning in May.
* The VFW Ladies Auxiliary Post 7118 of Linton will meet the first Monday of each month.
* Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library will be selling audio books on cassette for 50 cents each. You will find the books upstairs in the main library, located at 125 S. Franklin St. in Bloomfield. Books may be opened any time the library is open. Operating hours are Monday-Thursday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Pastor Samuel Hill invites you to a gospel singing at Hobbieville Christian Church the second Saturday of each month at 6 p.m. Different groups will sing each week. There will be food served and a good time of fellowship.
* A steering committee has been meeting in an effort to form an Eastern Greene Alumni Association. There is now an alumni tab on the school's website, www.egreene.k12.in.us. For those without Internet access, registration forms are available in the district's central office. For more information call (812) 825-5722.
* The Alzheimer's Support Group will meet the first Monday of each month at the Switz City Christian Church at 6 p.m. If you have any questions please call Linda at 798-1589.
* The Linton 12th Street Church of God will have Bible study every Thursday night in the Fellowship Hall at 7 p.m. with coffee and snacks.
* The Hobbieville Christian Fellowship Church will host a gospel sing the second Saturday of each month at 6 p.m. There will be food served.
* Meals on Wheels is now available at the Lyons Senior Citizens Center starting at 11:30 a.m. Please call 847-3509 the day before you plan to attend. For those who are homebound and need meals delivered, call 2-1-1 or 1-800-742-9002.
* Books for Babies is a national literacy program that acquaints parents and newborns with the important role they play in the development of their children. Parents are presented with a Books for Babies kit containing a book, baby's first library card and brochures with reading tips for parents and caregivers. If you are a new mother and a resident of Greene County in one of the following townships -- Richland, Highland, Taylor, Beech Creek, Center or Jackson -- you are eligible for a free gift for you and your baby. Please bring your baby in "to show him/her off" to the circulation desk in the Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library, 125 Franklin St. in Bloomfield to receive your free gift.
* Bingo at the American Legion in Worthington is on Fridays. Doors open at 4:30 p.m. with games at 6:15 p.m. This is open to the public. Cost is $30 for 15 games All proceeds go to the Worthington American Legion. This event is non-smoking with breaks made for smokers to go outdoors.
* A 12-Step Overcomers Recovery Support meeting is every Wednesday at the Family Life Center on the east side of the square in Bloomfield from 7:30-8:30 p.m. Come and join us to overcome life-controlling problems of all sorts with Bible principles, prayer, memory verses and weekly support. Call Instructor Tom Jacob for more information at 384-6321.
* The Lyons Community Food Pantry at 150 East Broad Street (the old fire station) will be open from 4-6 p.m. the third Monday of every month, and the first Saturday of the month from 10 a.m. to noon. The pantry serves zip codes 47443, 47449, and 47465.
* The Worthington Park Board will host meetings at 6 p.m. on each first Wednesday of the month at the Worthington Municipal Building in downtown Worthington. The public is welcome to attend.
* Mineral United Methodist Church will have Bible study from 7 - 8 p.m. on the second, third and fourth Wednesdays of the month.
* Faith Community Church cookbooks are available for $10 and can be purchased at Richard Brown Insurance or call 847-4798.
* Hobbieville Christian Fellowship Church will have a gospel singing at 6 p.m. on the second Saturday of each month. The public is invited.
* The Back Door Food Pantry is open from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. on the third Saturday of the month.
* Narcotics Anonymous will meet Saturdays at 7 p.m. at the Trinity Lutheran Church on State Road 54 East. There will be open discussion and all are welcome.
* Lebanon Baptist Food Pantry will only be open on the fourth Thursday of each month from 6-7:30 p.m.
* The Refuge Assembly of God food pantry will be open every Wednesday from 1-5 p.m. to assist those living in Bloomfield. To donate, please contact Trina at 384-8093 during the pantry's open hours.
* The Mineral Christian Men's Group meets at 8 a.m. every third Saturday of the month at the Mineral Community Building.
* House of Grace Coffee House will offer fellowship, food, worship and youth classes. The church is located at 792 S. Section St. in Dugger.
* The Pleasantville United Methodist Church food pantry is now open on the second and fourth Saturdays of the month from 10:30 a.m. - noon.
* The Lyons First Christian Church youth group meets at 6 p.m. on Mondays at the church's East Broad Street location.Today