* The Lyons Senior Center will host the Country Traveler's Band from 5 to 8 p.m.
Friday, Jan. 4
* The Jasonville Senior Citizens Center will have the monthly biscuits and sausage gravy from 7 to 9:30 a.m. There will be other breakfast items and carry out available.
Saturday, Jan. 5
* The Lawrence County Rock, Mineral and Fossil Club, with members from all over south-central Indiana, will meet at 7 p.m. at the Company Concourse, located at 1402 H. St. in Bedford. This month's program will be presented by Sherry Beemblossom of Bedford. Visitors are always welcome. For more information, call Carl at (812) 275-7703 or visit our web site at www.lawrencecountyrockclub.org.
Sunday, Jan. 6
* Carnegie Heritage and Arts Center of Greene County will have a story telling from 2 to 4 p.m. Fred Allen will talk about the history of our local coal mines. Refreshmens will be served.
Monday, Jan. 7
* The Bloomfield Football Booster Club will host a College National Championship Fundraiser event at the National Guard Armory in Linton. The NCAA Championship game between Alabama and Notre Dame will be featured in a 60-inch television broadcast. Cost is $15 in advance or $20 at the door and includes a BBQ meal prepared by Happy Matt's BBQ. Wear your favorite team's jersey and participate in a field goal competition and other events throughout the evening. Advance tickets are available from any Bloomfield Football Booster Club member, Sgt. Barnes at the National Guard Armory or Frank Starr by calling 847-0069 or 384-9628.
* The Greene County General Hospital Auxiliary meeting has been cancelled for today.
Tuesday, Jan. 8
* The Linton-Stockton Board of School Trustees will meetin in special session at 6 p.m. in the administration office.
* The Greene County Veterans Council will meet at 7:30 p.m. at the American Legion Post No. 479 in Lyons.
* Free smoking/chew cessation classes will be offered today through Feb. 26 from 6--8 p.m. at Greene County General Hospital in the Violet Newton Conference Room. Free nicotine replacement therapy will be provided by Greene County Public Health Department. To register call 847-9502.
Wednesday, Jan. 9
* Have you drifted away from the church? Are you angry with the church or God? St. Mary's Catholic Church will be hosting informal weekly sessions at 7 p.m. in Spencer Hall to address these concerns, facilitated by former non-practicing Catholics. If you know someone who has left the church, please invite them to join us. We are here to listen and help. For any questions or more information, call 268-4088 or email email@example.com.
Sunday, Jan. 13
* Hendricksville Area Association Monthly Fund Raiser Breakfast will be held from 7 to 10 a.m. at the Community Center, Highway 43, Hendricksville. Breakfast to benefit the Hendricksville Area Association for various community projects. Menu includes: Bacon, ham, sausage, eggs, omelets (no Western), biscuits and gravy, fried potatoes, pancakes and french toast.
Wednesday, Jan. 16
* Richard Hall will present "One Stroke" painting at the Carnegie Heritage and Arts Center at 6:30 p.m.
Saturday, Jan. 19
* The Carnegie Heritage and Arts Center will have an open house from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. There will be music an art demonstrations, and a chance to sign up for workshops.
Wednesday, Jan. 23
* The Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library will be hosting a Consumer Protection Program on at 4 p.m. in the Community Room. Learn more about why you still get calls even though you're signed up for the Do Not Call List, the latest scams and frauds, protecting your personal information, free credit reports and preventing identity theft. The event will be conducted by Outreach Services Specialist Amanda Meyer.
Friday, Feb. 1
* The Wabash Valley Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure is now accepting applications for the 2013-2014 grant cycle. Applicants must be a non profit working in breast health, education, awareness, and screening. For applications please contact Jeri at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 812-917-5047. Deadline for receiving grants is February 1, 2013.
* Have you wanted to read the entire Bible but get discouraged or don't understand it? Prairie Chapel United Methodist Church will begin a 31-week series on the first Sunday in January (6th) that will help us to read through the Bible chronologically and then study what we've read during weekly worship and Sunday school times. Please contact Pastor Nikki Marker at 875-3301 to pick up your copy of the accompanying book titled "The Story."
* The Linton Public Library is offering "Meaningful Movies from Literature" for Homeschool Teens, each Friday in January from 1 to 3:30 p.m. The teens will view four significant films (each based on a book) and will have an instruction/discussion time afterwards. To Kill a Mockingbird, The Friendly Persuasion, The Elephant Man and Sophie Scholl are the movies to be shown (in the order listed). Drinks and popcorn will be served.
* There will be a series of free health and wellness classes using do Terra Essential Oils. Dec. 12 will be infant to teen health; Jan. 21 will be weight management and nutrition; Feb. 11 will be Women's Health; March 18 will be detox and cleanse. The classes will be held in the Jaycee Building in Bloomfield on Lincoln Street. For more information contact Claire at 812-227-1059.
* Generations' AngelWorx will be sponsoring the 4th annual Build-a-Basket to help provide for the basic needs of clients. Suggested basket items can include paper towels, dish soap, shampoo and conditioner, laundry detergent, calendar and much more. Items should be placed in a laundry basket, trash can or storage tub. Boxes can be dropped off until Dec. 14. Call Alma Kramer at email@example.com or 812-888-4527. Baskets can be dropped off at Bloomfield Senior Housing Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.; Jasonville Senior Center Monday, Wednesday and Friday 8 a.m. to noon; and Linton Glenburn Community and Wellness Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
* The 2013 Friends of Goose Pond calendar is now available. Calendars may be purchased at the GPFWA office from 8 a.m.-3 p.m. M-F. Cost is $10. Calendars may also be ordered (+S&H) via email sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
* The Linton Public Library now has Kill A Watt Meters available for patron checkout. Use these meters to track the energy use of household appliances in your home and to determine the actual cost of power consumed. Meters donated by REMC.
* The Lewis Township Ministerial Association will present a series of Advent Services, at 7 p.m. for each scheduling : Thursday, Nov. 29 at Coalmont Church of God; Wednesday, Dec. 5 at Wilson General Baptist; Wednesday, Dec. 12 at Shakamak Community Church; Wednesday, Dec. 19 at Friendly Grove Baptist Church.
* Linton Tri Kappa has cheese balls for sale. Cheese balls rolled in pecans are $6.50 and plain cheese balls are $6. Contact Jessica Shake at 384-5911, Lisa Steward at 847-7319, Beth Gillan at 847-2010, or any Tri Kappa member to order.
* In order to raise funds for the prospective splash pad at Linton's Humphreys Park there will be calendars representing Old Time Linton for sale for $10. The calendars will be available at Shield's Hardware, Markle Music and Linton Saron Church. For more information call 847-7345.
* The Worthington American Legion Auxiliary Unit No. 106 will host Bingo every Friday night. Doors will open at 4 p.m. and Bingo will start at 6:15 p.m. We have everything you need to play, including game sheets and daubers. Food is available for sale during each session.
* The Children's Organ Transplant Association (COTA) is in search of donations for a life-saving heart transplant for Katelyn Newell. Any donations can be sent to Children's Organ Transplant Association, 2501 W. COTA Drive, Bloomington, Ind. 47403. Checks or money orders should be made payable to COTA, with "In honor of Katelyn N" in the memo line. Donations can also be made online at www.COTAforKatelynN.com.
* The Bloomfield Eastern Greene Public Library will be hosting a banned book club the first Friday of every month at 5 p.m. in the Community Room.
* The Worthington Senior Center will be hosting a Euchre Tournament Tuesday nights at 6:30 p.m.
* Greene County Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry (FHFH) Ministry is holding a Deer Drive this year to help fight hunger in Greene County. Each deer donated enters you for a chance to win a tree stand. All processing fees are paid for by FHFH. All you need to do is take your harvested deer to Bloomfield Processing Inc., located on State Road 54 West of Bloomfield and tell them you want to donate it to FHFH. All donated deer are processed into one pound packages of ground burger, then distributed to local food pantries and feeding missions. For more information please contact Brady Miller at 812-876-9699, call Bloomfield Processing 812-384-4512 for business hours during season. Food pantries please call Brady Miller if you would like some of the donated venison for your feeding ministry. Anyone wishing to donate funding to help us pay for the processing can also contact Brady Miller.
* The Linton Public Library is now operating at its winter hours: Monday through Thursday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Friday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Sunday closed.
* The Worthington First Baptist Church, located at the corner of Park and Dayton streets., will host youth groups every Tuesday from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Kid's Club (4-years-old to fifth grade) will meet in the church and Four12 (sixth to 12th grade) will meet in the fellowship hall. For more information call 798-2870 or 798-2871.
* Worthington First Baptist Church will offer four women's studies a month, starting in October. Studies will include Nearing Home, Taming the Tongue, So long and Security, and Expecting to see Jesus. Please contact Joyce Ann for more information at 798-2871.
* The Worthington Senior Center will start a Euchre Club on Tuesday nights at 7 p.m. The club will play 10 to 12 games each night.
* Mercy's Road Full Gospel Church services will be each Thursday at 7 p.m. at Coalmont Church. Call 699-1095 for more information.
* Bloomfield American Legion Memorial Post No. 196 is hosting Bingo every Thursday night at 5 p.m., with winner take all.
* Taylor Township Board will host its regular meetings on the second Wednesday of each month at 6 p.m. at the Scotland Fire Station beginning in May.
* The VFW Ladies Auxiliary Post 7118 of Linton will meet the first Monday of each month.
* Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library will be selling audio books on cassette for 50 cents each. You will find the books upstairs in the main library, located at 125 S. Franklin St. in Bloomfield. Books may be opened any time the library is open. Operating hours are Monday-Thursday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Pastor Samuel Hill invites you to a gospel singing at Hobbieville Christian Church the second Saturday of each month at 6 p.m. Different groups will sing each week. There will be food served and a good time of fellowship.
* A steering committee has been meeting in an effort to form an Eastern Greene Alumni Association. There is now an alumni tab on the school's website, www.egreene.k12.in.us. For those without Internet access, registration forms are available in the district's central office. For more information call (812) 825-5722.
* The Alzheimer's Support Group will meet the first Monday of each month at the Switz City Christian Church at 6 p.m. If you have any questions please call Linda at 798-1589.
* The Hobbieville Christian Fellowship Church will host a gospel sing the second Saturday of each month at 6 p.m. There will be food served.
* Meals on Wheels is now available at the Lyons Senior Citizens Center starting at 11:30 a.m. Please call 847-3509 the day before you plan to attend. For those who are homebound and need meals delivered, call 2-1-1 or 1-800-742-9002.
* Books for Babies is a national literacy program that acquaints parents and newborns with the important role they play in the development of their children. Parents are presented with a Books for Babies kit containing a book, baby's first library card and brochures with reading tips for parents and caregivers. If you are a new mother and a resident of Greene County in one of the following townships -- Richland, Highland, Taylor, Beech Creek, Center or Jackson -- you are eligible for a free gift for you and your baby. Please bring your baby in "to show him/her off" to the circulation desk in the Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library, 125 Franklin St. in Bloomfield to receive your free gift.
* Bingo at the American Legion in Worthington is on Fridays. Doors open at 4:30 p.m. with games at 6:15 p.m. This is open to the public. Cost is $30 for 15 games All proceeds go to the Worthington American Legion. This event is non-smoking with breaks made for smokers to go outdoors.
* A 12-Step Overcomers Recovery Support meeting is every Wednesday at the Family Life Center on the east side of the square in Bloomfield from 7:30-8:30 p.m. Come and join us to overcome life-controlling problems of all sorts with Bible principles, prayer, memory verses and weekly support. Call Instructor Tom Jacob for more information at 384-6321.
* The Lyons Community Food Pantry at 150 East Broad Street (the old fire station) will be open from 4-6 p.m. the third Monday of every month, and the first Saturday of the month from 10 a.m. to noon. The pantry serves zip codes 47443, 47449, and 47465.
* The Worthington Park Board will host meetings at 6 p.m. on each first Wednesday of the month at the Worthington Municipal Building in downtown Worthington. The public is welcome to attend.
* Mineral United Methodist Church will have Bible study from 7 - 8 p.m. on the second, third and fourth Wednesdays of the month.
* Faith Community Church cookbooks are available for $10 and can be purchased at Richard Brown Insurance or call 847-4798.
* Hobbieville Christian Fellowship Church will have a gospel singing at 6 p.m. on the second Saturday of each month. The public is invited.
* The Back Door Food Pantry is open from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. on the third Saturday of the month.
* Narcotics Anonymous will meet Saturdays at 7 p.m. at the Trinity Lutheran Church on State Road 54 East. There will be open discussion and all are welcome.
* Lebanon Baptist Food Pantry will only be open on the fourth Thursday of each month from 6-7:30 p.m.
* The Refuge Assembly of God food pantry will be open every Wednesday from 1-5 p.m. to assist those living in Bloomfield. To donate, please contact Trina at 384-8093 during the pantry's open hours.
* The Mineral Christian Men's Group meets at 8 a.m. every third Saturday of the month at the Mineral Community Building.
* House of Grace Coffee House will offer fellowship, food, worship and youth classes. The church is located at 792 S. Section St. in Dugger.
* The Pleasantville United Methodist Church food pantry is now open on the second and fourth Saturdays of the month from 10:30 a.m. - noon.
* The Lyons First Christian Church youth group meets at 6 p.m. on Mondays at the church's East Broad Street location.