[Nameplate] Fair ~ 67°F  
High: 88°F ~ Low: 61°F
Thursday, July 30, 2015

BREAKING NEWS: Linton home destroyed by Saturday morning fire

Saturday, January 12, 2013

A Linton family lost their home to fire early Saturday morning and a local firefighter suffered smoke inhalation while attempting to extinguish the blaze.

The fire was reported at 2:59 a.m. at 810 F Street NE near 8th Street in a two-story home owned by "Paco" and Shandra Howell.

Linton Fire Department Chief Brad Sparks said the fast-moving fire is believed to have started on the second floor.

The couple was watching television upstairs and reported the TV went off. They found the electrical breaker was flipped.

"They smelled smoke, exited the house and called 911," Fire Chief Sparks told the Greene County Daily World.

Sparks said the fire had engulfed the upstairs as the firefighters arrived on the scene.

Sparks called the fire a 'total loss' with the roof collapsing and said the couple escaped with only the clothes on their backs.

Cause of the fire has not been determined.

"There is nothing suspicious about it. I'm just glad they (the Howell family) got out of the house without getting hurt," he added.

The Linton Fire Department was assisted by the Wright Township Volunteer Fire Department.

Units remained at the scene until about 7:30 a.m., but Sparks expects his department to be recalled later on Saturday when 'hot spots' ignite.

"It was a bad one," he said.

The Greene County Chapter of the Red Cross was at the scene to offer assistance to the family, Sparks pointed out.

Sparks is also grateful that veteran firefighter and former department chief Gary Tannehill wasn't hurt seriously.

He was taken to Greene County General Hospital in Linton to be checked out and receive treatment for what Sparks called smoke inhalation.

"He was released and will be fine," Sparks said late Saturday morning.

The fire chief expressed gratitude for local businesses and residents who provided water, hot drinks and breakfast foods for the firefighters.

"We really appreciated that." he stressed.


Comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on gcdailyworld.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

We are blessed to have our local fire department! Thank you all for your hard work today and everyday!

-- Posted by sallymoore1972 on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 4:41 PM

Fyi: its Shonda Howell...glad everyone is ok

-- Posted by donnameurer on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 6:08 PM

Thank u Linton fire department for risking ur lives to save ours!!! Many props!!!

-- Posted by linton_resident on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 10:00 PM


Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: