[Nameplate] Overcast ~ 69°F  
High: 82°F ~ Low: 57°F
Friday, July 1, 2016

Fire destroys Linton home over the weekend

Monday, January 14, 2013

A Linton family lost their home to fire early Saturday morning and a local firefighter suffered smoke inhalation while attempting to extinguish the blaze.

The fire was reported at 2:59 a.m. at 810 NE F St. near 8th St. in a two-story home owned by "Paco" and Shandra Howell.

Linton Fire Department Chief Brad Sparks said the fire is believed to have started on the second floor.

The couple was watching television upstairs and reported the TV went off. They found the electrical breaker was flipped.

"They smelled smoke, exited the house and called 911," Sparks said.

Sparks said the fire had engulfed the upstairs as the firefighters arrived on the scene.

Sparks called the fire a total loss with the roof collapsing and said the couple escaped with only the clothes on their backs.

The cause of the fire has not been determined.

"There is nothing suspicious out it. I'm just glad they (the Howell family) got out of the house without getting hurt," he added.

The Linton Fire Department was assisted by the Wright Township Volunteer Fire Department.

Units remained at the scene until about 7:30 p.m.

"It was a bad one," he said.

The Greene County Chapter of the American Red Cross was at the scene to offer assistance to the family, Sparks pointed out.

Sparks is also grateful that veteran firefighter and former department chief Gary Tannehill wasn't seriously hurt.

He was taken to Greene County General Hospital in Linton to be checked out and receive treatment for what Sparks called smoke inhalation.

"He was released and will be fine," Sparks said late Saturday morning.

The fire chief expressed gratitude for local businesses and residents who provided water, hot drinks and breakfast foods for the firefighters.

"We really appreciated that," he stressed.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: