* Bloomfield Girls Summer Softball will be holding a Board Meeting to elect 2013 Board Members 6 to 8 p.m. at the Bloomfield Public Library in the Community Room. All Parents and Coaches are encouraged to attend.
* The Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library will be hosting a Consumer Protection Program at 4 p.m. in the Community Room. Learn more about why you still get calls even though you're signed up for the Do Not Call List, the latest scams and frauds, protecting your personal information, free credit reports and preventing identity theft. The event will be conducted by Outreach Services Specialist Amanda Meyer.
Thursday, Jan. 24
* The Eastern Greene Scrabble Team Silent Auction will be conducted in the Eastern Greene Middle School cafeteria starting at 5 p.m. More than 250 items will be offered including: overnight stays at nearby hotels/cabins, food certificates, model train cars, antiques, artwork, carpet, free bowling, clothing, furniture, house cleaning, Holiday World/Splashin' Safari tickets, limo coupons, handmade items, Indianapolis Indians tickets, lots (over 90) thematic baskets, sporting goods, Longaberger, 31 bags, photography, ricks of wood Everyone is invited to attend. Four games will be played that night and concessions will also be served.
Friday, Jan. 25
* The Worthington Town Council will hold a special organizational meeting on Friday, Jan. 25 at 5 p.m. at the Town Hall with an executive meeting immediately following. The purpose of the meeting is personnel matters.
* The Switz City Full Gospel invites everyone to attend the annual Winter Blast tonight at 7 p.m. and Saturday at 9:30 a.m. The Saturday service will provide a free lunch at noon, with afternoon services starting right after.
Saturday, Jan. 26
* Greene County Relay for Life will host a kick-off event at 10 a.m. at the Switz City Christian Church. Brunch will be served. This event is for anyone interested in becoming involved with Relay.
* The Linton Moose will have a fish and shrimp dinner at 5 p.m. and karaoke at 8 p.m. The public is welcome.
* The Lyons American Legion will be restarting the monthly breakfast from 7 to 11 a.m. There will be a choice between bacon or sausage, biscuits or taste and gravy, fried potatoes and eggs fixed your way.
Sunday, Jan. 27
* Prom Dress Sale at Bloomfield High School located on West Spring Street, Bloomfield today from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. in the High School Cafeteria. Admission to shop is free. Sellers: Drop off dresses at the Cafeteria on Friday, January 25, between 3:30 and 6:30 p.m. There is a $5 consignment fee per dress due when it is dropped off. When your dress sells an additional $5 fee is due. Sellers set the price of their dress. The profits from this sale will benefit this year's post prom. For more information contact Tena Edwards at 384-4301 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tuesday, Jan. 29
* The Linton Pool Board will meet at 7 p.m. at Linton City Hall.
Thursday, Jan. 31
* Jasonville F & AM Lodge No. 530 will have work in the FC degree. Meal will be served at 6 p.m. and work will begin at 7 p.m.
All visiting brethren are welcome.
* The Greene County Foundation will be hosting a Scholarship Fair at the 4-H Fairgrounds 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Anyone or any organization(s) who provide scholarships to local Greene County students are invited to attend. You can distribute your scholarship applications and meet with prospective applicants. This is a great chance to expand your applicant pool. If you are unable to attend the fair but would like to drop off a stack of you applications and the criteria the Foundation will be happy to distribute them. If you wish more information call the Foundation at 659-3142
* Greene County Memory Makers Quilt Guild will hold its monthly meeting at the Bloomfield Public Library Community room at 6:30 p.m. Hostess Mary Jo Foster will be in charge of the monthly program. Call Loretta Crody at 812-798-2132 or 812-665-2110 if you have questions or need directions.
Friday, Feb. 1
* The Linton Civitan Club will hold its annual Clergy Appreciation Banquet at the Linton Assembly of God church. Dinner will begin at 6:30 p.m. All area clergymen and women are welcome to attend along with a guest. Please RSVP to Kevin Cross by Monday, January 28. You may call (812) 887-0958 or email email@example.com.
* The Wabash Valley Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure is now accepting applications for the 2013-2014 grant cycle. Applicants must be a non profit working in breast health, education, awareness, and screening. For applications please contact Jeri at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 812-917-5047. Deadline for receiving grants is February 1, 2013.
Saturday, Feb. 2
* The Lawrence County Rock, Mineral and Fossil Club, with members from all over south-central Indiana, will meet at 7 p.m. at the Company Concourse, located at 1402 H. St. in Bedford. Visitors are always welcome. For more information, call Carl at (812) 275-7703 or visit our web site at www.lawrencecountyrockclub.org.
* The Eastern Greene Alumni Association will be hosting its first social gathering on from 4:30 to 5:45 p.m. The alumni reception is being held prior to the homecoming game with South Knox in the middle school cafeteria. Light refreshments will be provided. If you have questions about this event, please call the Central Office at 812-825-5722.
* Tickets are now on sale for the third annual Soup Bowl Benefit to support the Terre Haute Catholic Charities Foodbank. This popular evening of music, conversation, soup and bread, takes place in the Maryland Community Church atrium from 4 to 7:30 p.m. The event will feature two seatings to accommodate the growing demand for tickets. The first seating is from 4 to 5:30 p.m. and the second seating is from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Tickets are available at the Catholic Charities office or the Terre Haute Deanery Pastoral Center both located at 1801 Poplar St. in Terre Haute or call (812) 232-1447 or (812) 232-8400.
Thursday, Feb. 7
* Master Gardeners will meet at 7 p.m. at the Greene County Extension Office.
* The Watershed Coordinator for the Plummer/Richland Creek Watershed Project and the Greene County Soil and Water Conservation District is welcoming the public to an advisory committee meeting at 6 p.m. at the Eastern Greene Central Office Board Room.
Thursday, Feb. 14
* Parkview Village, located at 800 S. West St. in Odon, will host a Speghetti Dinner with speghetti, salad, garlic bread, dessert and a drink. Dinner will be served from 5 to 6 p.m., $7 for adults and $3 for children under 7. Entertainment will begin at 6 p.m. with Phil Spaulding.
Saturday, Feb. 16
* The Linton-Stockton Junior class is hosting Promapalooza, a prom dress sale and fashion show, at the Saron Church. Doors open at noon, fashion show starts at 1 p.m. and the sale will run until 3 p.m. For a small fee, we will display your dress and any prom accessories. For more information contact Amber Cates at 812-699-0973 or email@example.com.
Sunday, March 3
* Bloomington Area Birth Services is excited to bring you The Baby Fair: Everything from Pregnancy through Preschool on March 3 from 1-4pm at the Bloomington Convention Center. The 2013 Baby Fair will include more than 50 exhibitors, live music, toddler and preschool activities, a baby wearing fashion show, educational seminars, car seat safety checks, a bouncy house, belly painting, and fabulous door prizes. There will also be a lactation station where mamas can relax and nurse or rock their babies during the event. Admission is $5 for adults and children under 12 are free. The first 300 families will receive a free reusable shopping bag full of products and coupons related to life with a baby. For more information please visit bloomingtonbirth.org/babyfair.
* Divorced? Separated? Find support through DivorceCare, a weekly seminar being offered at Saron Church (440 1st St. NE) on Saturdays January 26, February 2, 9, 16, 23, March 9, 16, 30, April 6, 13, 20, 27 & May 4th from 10 a.m. -12:30 p.m. Sessions range from "What's Happening to Me?" to "Forgiveness". Cost is $15 for materials and snacks, but scholarships are available. Please call Saron Church with questions or to sign-up: 812-847-4911.
* In order to raise funds for the prospective splash pad at Linton's Humphreys Park there will be calendars representing Old Time Linton for sale for $10. The calendars will be available at Shield's Hardware, Markle Music and Linton Saron Church. For more information call 847-7345.
* Is Our Future in Heaven all that Really Matters? That's not what the Bible teaches. Premier Bible scholar N. T. Wright takes you inside the Scriptures to grasp the full, breathtaking hope Jesus offers the world, and its implications for how we live our lives today. Whether you wonder what Christianity is all about or you think you know, join us for this video course and discussion each Tuesday from Jan. 8 to Feb. 12 from 7 to 8 p.m. at Trinity Lutheran Church, 11759 E St Hwy 54, Linton. Check it out at www.lintonlutheran.org or on Facebook "lintonlutheran".
* Have you wanted to read the entire Bible but get discouraged or don't understand it? Prairie Chapel United Methodist Church will begin a 31-week series on the first Sunday in January (6th) that will help us to read through the Bible chronologically and then study what we've read during weekly worship and Sunday school times. Please contact Pastor Nikki Marker at 875-3301 to pick up your copy of the accompanying book titled "The Story."
* The Linton Public Library is offering "Meaningful Movies from Literature" for Homeschool Teens, each Friday in January from 1 to 3:30 p.m. The teens will view four significant films (each based on a book) and will have an instruction/discussion time afterwards. To Kill a Mockingbird, The Friendly Persuasion, The Elephant Man and Sophie Scholl are the movies to be shown (in the order listed). Drinks and popcorn will be served.
* There will be a series of free health and wellness classes using do Terra Essential Oils. Jan. 21 will be weight management and nutrition; Feb. 11 will be Women's Health; March 18 will be detox and cleanse. The classes will be held in the Jaycee Building in Bloomfield on Lincoln Street. For more information contact Claire at 812-227-1059.
* The 2013 Friends of Goose Pond calendar is now available. Calendars may be purchased at the GPFWA office from 8 a.m.-3 p.m. M-F. Cost is $10. Calendars may also be ordered (+S&H) via email sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
* The Linton Public Library now has Kill A Watt Meters available for patron checkout. Use these meters to track the energy use of household appliances in your home and to determine the actual cost of power consumed. Meters donated by REMC.
* The Worthington American Legion Auxiliary Unit No. 106 will host Bingo every Friday night. Doors will open at 4 p.m. and Bingo will start at 6:15 p.m. We have everything you need to play, including game sheets and daubers. Food is available for sale during each session.
* The Bloomfield Eastern Greene Public Library will be hosting a banned book club the first Friday of every month at 5 p.m. in the Community Room.
* The Worthington Senior Center will be hosting a Euchre Tournament Tuesday nights at 6:30 p.m.
* Greene County Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry (FHFH) Ministry is holding a Deer Drive this year to help fight hunger in Greene County. Each deer donated enters you for a chance to win a tree stand. All processing fees are paid for by FHFH. All you need to do is take your harvested deer to Bloomfield Processing Inc., located on State Road 54 West of Bloomfield and tell them you want to donate it to FHFH. All donated deer are processed into one pound packages of ground burger, then distributed to local food pantries and feeding missions. For more information please contact Brady Miller at 812-876-9699, call Bloomfield Processing 812-384-4512 for business hours during season. Food pantries please call Brady Miller if you would like some of the donated venison for your feeding ministry. Anyone wishing to donate funding to help us pay for the processing can also contact Brady Miller.
* The Linton Public Library is now operating at its winter hours: Monday through Thursday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Friday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Sunday closed.
* The Worthington First Baptist Church, located at the corner of Park and Dayton streets., will host youth groups every Tuesday from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Kid's Club (4-years-old to fifth grade) will meet in the church and Four12 (sixth to 12th grade) will meet in the fellowship hall. For more information call 798-2870 or 798-2871.
* The Worthington Senior Center will start a Euchre Club on Tuesday nights at 7 p.m. The club will play 10 to 12 games each night.
* Mercy's Road Full Gospel Church services will be each Thursday at 7 p.m. at Coalmont Church. Call 699-1095 for more information.
* Bloomfield American Legion Memorial Post No. 196 is hosting Bingo every Thursday night at 5 p.m., with winner take all.
* The VFW Ladies Auxiliary Post 7118 of Linton will meet the first Monday of each month.
* Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library will be selling audio books on cassette for 50 cents each. You will find the books upstairs in the main library, located at 125 S. Franklin St. in Bloomfield. Books may be opened any time the library is open. Operating hours are Monday-Thursday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Pastor Samuel Hill invites you to a gospel singing at Hobbieville Christian Church the second Saturday of each month at 6 p.m. Different groups will sing each week. There will be food served and a good time of fellowship.
* The Alzheimer's Support Group will meet the first Monday of each month at the Switz City Christian Church at 6 p.m. If you have any questions please call Linda at 798-1589.
* The Hobbieville Christian Fellowship Church will host a gospel sing the second Saturday of each month at 6 p.m. There will be food served.
* Meals on Wheels is now available at the Lyons Senior Citizens Center starting at 11:30 a.m. Please call 847-3509 the day before you plan to attend. For those who are homebound and need meals delivered, call 2-1-1 or 1-800-742-9002.
* Books for Babies is a national literacy program that acquaints parents and newborns with the important role they play in the development of their children. Parents are presented with a Books for Babies kit containing a book, baby's first library card and brochures with reading tips for parents and caregivers. If you are a new mother and a resident of Greene County in one of the following townships -- Richland, Highland, Taylor, Beech Creek, Center or Jackson -- you are eligible for a free gift for you and your baby. Please bring your baby in "to show him/her off" to the circulation desk in the Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library, 125 Franklin St. in Bloomfield to receive your free gift.
* Bingo at the American Legion in Worthington is on Fridays. Doors open at 4:30 p.m. with games at 6:15 p.m. This is open to the public. Cost is $30 for 15 games All proceeds go to the Worthington American Legion. This event is non-smoking with breaks made for smokers to go outdoors.
* A 12-Step Overcomers Recovery Support meeting is every Wednesday at the Family Life Center on the east side of the square in Bloomfield from 7:30-8:30 p.m. Come and join us to overcome life-controlling problems of all sorts with Bible principles, prayer, memory verses and weekly support. Call Instructor Tom Jacob for more information at 384-6321.
* The Lyons Community Food Pantry at 150 East Broad Street (the old fire station) will be open from 4-6 p.m. the third Monday of every month, and the first Saturday of the month from 10 a.m. to noon. The pantry serves zip codes 47443, 47449, and 47465.
* The Worthington Park Board will host meetings at 6 p.m. on each first Wednesday of the month at the Worthington Municipal Building in downtown Worthington. The public is welcome to attend.
* Mineral United Methodist Church will have Bible study from 7 - 8 p.m. on the second, third and fourth Wednesdays of the month.
* Faith Community Church cookbooks are available for $10 and can be purchased at Richard Brown Insurance or call 847-4798.
* Hobbieville Christian Fellowship Church will have a gospel singing at 6 p.m. on the second Saturday of each month. The public is invited.
* The Back Door Food Pantry is open from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. on the third Saturday of the month.
* Narcotics Anonymous will meet Saturdays at 7 p.m. at the Trinity Lutheran Church on State Road 54 East. There will be open discussion and all are welcome.
* Lebanon Baptist Food Pantry will only be open on the fourth Thursday of each month from 6-7:30 p.m.
* The Refuge Assembly of God food pantry will be open every Wednesday from 1-5 p.m. to assist those living in Bloomfield. To donate, please contact Trina at 384-8093 during the pantry's open hours.
* The Mineral Christian Men's Group meets at 8 a.m. every third Saturday of the month at the Mineral Community Building.
* House of Grace Coffee House will offer fellowship, food, worship and youth classes. The church is located at 792 S. Section St. in Dugger.
* The Pleasantville United Methodist Church food pantry is now open on the second and fourth Saturdays of the month from 10:30 a.m. - noon.
* The Lyons First Christian Church youth group meets at 6 p.m. on Mondays at the church's East Broad Street location.