Road closings: Work on SR 59, 48 ahead of schedule
Many readers have probably seen the signs on SR 59 between Jasonville and Linton. A portion of the road between West County Road 300 N, north of Linton and State Road 48, will be fully closed beginning Tuesday, May 29 while chip and seal operations are underway, explains a recent press release from the Indiana Department of Transportation.
This location of the district-wide chip and seal operations was originally scheduled for Monday, June 11, but Jason Tiller, Communications Director for Southwest Indiana, said that SR 59 leg has been pushed up to May 29 because INDOT is running a full week ahead of schedule.
The work on SR 59 is just one leg of the scheduled chip and seal operations throughout the Vincennes District, and will take around four days to complete, weather permitting.
Work on SR 48 was originally scheduled for May 29, but may begin as early as May 22. This location extends from North Thomas Street in Shelburn in Sullivan County to the Sullivan-Clay county lines near Shakamak State Park, then continuing to the Clay-Greene county line near Shakamak Community Church (CR 1450 W) and continues on the other side of Jasonville city limits from SR 48 beginning east of SR 59 to SR 157. This project is broken into four segments.
The combined projects will take roughly six to eight weeks to complete, INDOT explains.
Each location “will be done under full road closures to prevent damage to both vehicles and the roadway,” INDOT explains. “This also increases the quality of the finished roadway. After chip and seal operations are complete, any loose aggregate will be swept away from the road.”
Greene County projects with adjusted schedule:
• Tuesday, May 22 (originally May 15) - S.R. 48 (four locations) from North Thomas Street (east of Shelburn town limit) to the Sullivan/Clay County line, From Sullivan/Clay County Line to the Clay/Greene County line, From Clay/Green County line to C.R. 1450 W (West town limit of Jasonville), and from just east of S.R. 59 to S.R. 157 in Greene County.
• Monday, May 29 (Originally June 11) - S.R. 59 in Greene County from West C.R. 300 N to S.R. 48.
“Chip and seal operations, on average, extend the life of pavement by three to five years,” said INDOT. “For every dollar spent on chip and seal, taxpayers save $6-14 in future road rehabilitation and construction costs. Motorists should remember to slow down, increase following distance, obey all work zone signs and flaggers, and plan for extra time to get to your destination.”
Locations in the INDOT Vincennes district that have been completed or begun include SR 168 between County Road 600 S and Fort Branch town limits, Two locations on SR 65 in Gibson and Pike Counties, three locations on SR 56 in Pike and Gibson Counties to Petersburg and work on SR 364 in Pike County from SR 61 to the end of the road.
Other projects, based on original schedule:
• Friday, June 15 - S.R. 159 in Knox Couny from Brocksmith/Oaktown Road (North of the Bicknell City limit) to S.R. 58.
• Friday, June 22 - S.R. 245 in Spencer County from S.R. 70 to the north side of C.R. 1300 N
• Wednesday, June 27 - S.R. 68 in Posey County from S.R. 69 to the west town limit of Poseyville.
Motorists can also stay up-to-date on highway projects and other traffic updates by visiting indot.carsprogram.org, calling 1-800-261-ROAD (7623) or dialing 511 from a mobile phone.
Subscribe to receive text and email alerts about INDOT projects at https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/INDOT/subscriber/new.
Follow @INDOTSouthwest on Twitter and at Facebook.com/INDOTVincennesDistrict.