Eastern Greene Board readies for summer, next year
The Eastern Greene Board of School Trustees met Monday evening and the greater part of the agenda was devoted to getting Eastern Greene Schools ready for the 2018-19 school year.
At Eastern Greene Elementary, the Board approved the resignation of Melisa Mullis, Developmental Preschool teacher, and the hiring of Amanda Kloss and Jaicee Blais as fourth-grade teachers. The board also approved the hiring of Alison Meyer as Kindergarten teacher.
Also at the elementary school, approval was given to hire Kim Hill, Stacey Deckard, Robin Bush, Mandy Buskirk and Kindra Roberts as Elementary Summer School teachers and Jacklyn Clark and Cheyenne Roell as Early Learning Center teaching assistants.
At Eastern Greene Middle School, the Board approved the resignation of Stephanie Adkins as Physical Education facilitator, as she and her family have moved to Martinsville.
At Eastern Greene High School, the Board approved the hiring of Brittney Andrews as a part-time AP Physics and AP Environmental Science teacher, the re-hiring of Melodie Miller as a math teacher and the hiring of G. Sean Vandeventer as an Industrial Technology teacher.
In addition, fourt-grade teacher Jaicee Blaise was approved as High School Cheer Coach. The board next approved several ECA coaches, including Whitney Russell as Volleyball Head Coach, Tiffany Clark as Volleyball Assistant Coach, Jason Beeler as Football Assistant Coach, Kenny Nalley as Volunteer Football Assistant Coach, Nathan Martindale as Girls’ Golf Head Coach, Jon Neill as Boys’ Basketball Head Coach and Justin Burris as Girls’ Basketball Head Coach.
In other business:
• The Board approved the High School Marching Band summer staffing, which will remain unchanged from last year.
• Changes to the Middle School student handbook were approved.
• The Board approved the renewal of the contract with Chartwells as Eastern’s food service provider for the 2018-19 school year.
• The Board approved renewing the AP-TIP grant affiliate membership for next year at a cost of $1,250. AP-TIP provides training for high school teachers to qualify them to teach AP courses.
• The Board approved the continuation of Eastern’s Summer Feeding program. The program will be run from the cafeteria at the middle school, due to construction at the high school.
• A bid from Graves Construction Services was approved which will have Graves retrofit and replace 10 waterless urinals at the high school. The work includes all plumbing and other work to clear up a backup issue the high school has repeatedly had trouble with.
• The Board approved a bid from Reece Seal Coating Inc for reconditioning of the high school track at a cost of $15,831. The work is past due and will be done over the summer.
Several donations were approved by the Board, in the following amounts: $1,000 from Michael and Jennifer Harper to the High School Marching Band, $400 G Orthodontics and Dr. Ann Granicz in support of Eastern Greene Middle School students and staff, $800 from Harold and Sharon Backus and $250 from W. Shane and Kelly L. Smith for the eighth grade trip to Washington DC, $100 from Arthur and Margaret Baechtold for the Middle School Buddy Bench program, $100 from Bennie Flynn for the eighth grade Special Olympics class projects and $250 from Michael and Jennifer Harper for High School Baseball.
The next meeting of the Eastern Greene School Board of Trustees will take place on Monday, June 11 at 7:30 p.m. in the Administration Conference Room.