FREE ACCESS: GCGH suspends all visitors until further notice
According to a pres release issued March 13, 2020, Greene County General Hospital (GCGH) has suspended all visitors until further notice.
The release states: “Due to growing statewide COVID-19 coronavirus concerns, Greene County General Hospital is suspending visitors to reduce the potential spread of COVID-19. As this is a rapidly-evolving situation, we are working closely with the local Health Department to evaluate the situation frequently and are updating restrictions as advised by the Health Department, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH). Per the ISDH, currently there are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Greene County, but because GCGH is committed to the safety of our patients, staff and the community, we are restricting visitors as a precaution. In addition, we are sharing the following recommendations:
• The CDC is recommending that no one shake hands, hug others or engage in non-essential physical contact.
• The CDC recommends proper hand hygiene including washing hands or using hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol content.
• Governor Holcomb has recommended that individuals over 60 years of age or those with a known underlying health issue such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes or chronic respiratory disease should limit their public exposure.
The ISDH recommends staying home in self-isolation unless there is a serious medical situation requiring attention.
In addition to the visitor restrictions, GCGH has educated our staff about the CDC and ISDH guidelines during the public health state of emergency. It is important that we are on high alert for potential coronavirus COVID-19 cases. In the case of a patient suspecting they have the coronavirus; our staff is prepared to respond with the following actions:
GCGH is prepared to screen patients suspected of a coronavirus infection by asking:
• Has the patient traveled, been exposed to someone who traveled or who has been exposed to a positive case in the past 14-30 days?
• Does the patient have the following symptoms?
Shortness of breath
State and local health officials stressed that anyone with symptoms should call their doctor or hospital before seeking care. Advanced notice allows our providers to prepare for the patient’s arrival, reducing exposure to staff and other patients. The GCGH main phone number is 812-847-2281 and the My Clinics phone number is 812-847-4481.
Anyone with questions or concerns should call the Indiana State Department of Health coronavirus hotline at 317-233-7125 or the after-hours hotline at 317-233-1325.