High: 60°F ~ Low: 44°F
Monday, Mar. 30, 2015
Let 2011 be a year of discovery for your familyPosted Wednesday, December 29, 2010, at 9:35 AM
Instead of the expected resolutions for the New Year, some discoveries for 2010 came to mind:
1) Less is best ... we've downsized to a smaller home ... less clutter. Our son says, "Your possessions own you." He's probably right.
2) I've noticed lots of appliance purging ... stainless steel kitchen appliances ... beautifully colored washer/dryer sets ... all the rage ... prime example of commercialism ... appliances real purpose ... to make life easier ... the aesthetics have become very important.
3) John Cougar Mellancamp recently appeared on a talk show ... has a lifetime nicotine habit ... smoked over 650,000 cigarettes ... "I'm burnt toast!" when asked why he didn't quit ... disgusting habit costs well over $20,000 ... a better use of chunk of change, supporting a small charity.
4) Mark Zuckerberg ... co-founder of the communication website Facebook ... dropped out of Harvard in 2004 ... began business in small California apartment ... current worth over $6 billion ... the American dream is alive and well ... my only hope ... winning lottery ticket.
5) Goodwill ... Cha Ching ... one stop shopping ... Wednesdays 20% off for senior citizen (I fit that description) ... recently "scored" two pair of new cords, a street length leather men's coat, and a new Land's End sweater ... honestly, a treasure trove.
6) Squirrels ... wildlife's true comedians ... spied one hanging by its feet ... front legs stretched toward a bird bath ... another laying flat ... one tiny leg dangling leisurely from a branch.
7) Eat more dark chocolate ... sweet and decadently tasty ... good for the heart in moderation ... thank you American Heart Association ... supportive of my lifetime obsession with chocolate ... popped chocolates at work for 35 years.
8) Alzheimer's ... catastrophic disease ... recently read that it may not be caused by plaque ... by protein ... the plaque builds to protect the brain from protein growth ... which leads to health advocacy ... question everything ... won't make you the most popular patient in the waiting room ... may save a life ... yours.
9) Library employees ... work very hard ... not only checking in/out books ... each employee does a variety of tasks ... never run out of things to do ... a wonderful group of people ... soft spoken, courteous, and helpful.
Here's wishing that 2011 will be your year of discovery.
Tawni is a former teacher at Linton-Stockton Elementary School. She can be reached by e-mail at email@example.com .
- Blog RSS feed
- Comments RSS feed
- Send email to By Tawni Prudhomme
Hot topicsI've been a victim of bullying
(0 ~ 10:48 AM, Mar 2)
All I don't know about bullying
Just the smell of a pine tree reminds me of Christmas's past
The early years lay the foundation our children
Back to square one with my mess