As Americans, we often feel compelled to help others but not knowing how to take that first step can often hinder the best of ideas.
My amazing team decided we were going to take that first step. Each of us has a family member or friend that made the sacrifice to protect our freedom, to keep us safe and allow us to raise our children in this blessed country. We have set up a Community Outreach Project to help our veterans.
We are collecting donations of hygiene products, household items, non-perishables, etc. We will be taking all of these items to the Veterans Hospital. If you know of a Veteran specifically in need, please let us know.
This project is of no cost to the county. My team and I will pay any expenses that are needed. Please feel free to bring your donations to the office. There is a collection receptacle available. Also, If there is a soldier in need of a family, we would like to know a few names in the community that need holiday baskets, Christmas baskets, etc.
Tax season is quickly approaching and I wanted to review your options to pay your fall tax bills outside of the courthouse. We want it to be easier, more convenient and less like a dreaded experience. No one particularly cares for paying taxes but it’s a necessary part of the puzzle to make this county run.
So here are the options we propose to you for tax payments:
• Online payments at www.co.greene.in.us and simply click the online payments section. Echeck will only charge you $1.50 for up to $50,000. Contact the office if you need me to raise the amount. This is done on a case-by-case basis. If you chose to use a debit or credit card, there is a 2.5 percent fee assessed by the vendor. We do not collect these fees.
• We have a completely automated phone payment. Simply dial 1-877-690-3729. The jurisdiction code is 2443. Make sure that you have your parcel number(s) ready for this payment. The same fees apply as the online payments
• First Financial Bank will accept payments two weeks prior to the due date. It needs to be the exact amount listed on the payment coupon(s) and can be made in Worthington, Sandborn and Dugger. Deadline of noon on the due date.
• Farmers and Mechanics will also accept payments in the exact amount listed on the coupon(s). Deadline of noon on the due date.
• You are welcome to pay by cash or check in the office at no charge. We will accept credit or debit cards in the office but the same 2.5 percent is charged.
• You are welcome to mail your payment and request a receipt if you include a self-addressed stamped envelope.
If you would like to follow along with your tax amounts and payment history, please research at www.greene.in.wthgis.com. This will also provide you with information about your property as well.
Again, you can make multiple smaller payments all year around to avoid making two large payments.
Something else I would like to add, anyone can use this, however for the farmer community, you are welcome to prepay your taxes for the following year in November. I understand from other farmers that the most costly expenses of farming occur is the spring. If it helps you to pay your spring taxes in advance, we can do that. I am willing to help in any way that is possible. Taxpayers are always first priority!
Thank you for helping us grow and learn this year. Thank you for teaching us the best ways to serve you. Most importantly, thank you for being patient with us.
“Teamwork coming together is a beginning, keeping together is progress, working together is success.” ~ Henry Ford
Nicole Stahl is the Greene County Treasurer. She can be contacted at Nicole.Cox@co.greene.in.us.