If there's an important weather alert being issued, and you're not near your TV or a radio, would you still like to know?
How about when the electricity goes out, like it did in the Bloomfield and eastern Greene areas Wednesday, would you like to know school has been canceled?
What happens if Bloomfield knocks off Bloomington South in basketball or Linton-Stockton wins the Sectional 40 Class A football sectional championship ... would you like to know right away?
If State Road 54 just east of Bloomfield is closed because of high water, wouldn't it be nice to receive an alert if you're not near your computer, TV or radio.
Now you can.
The Greene County Daily World now offers cell phone text alerts. All you have to do is go to www.gcdailyworld.com and sign up for the service.
Signing up is fast and easy. All you have to do is click on an advertisement currently on Web site or the Text Alert tab (near Records), and it will take you to the sign-up page.
Once there, participants must enter mobile contact information and select information categories they would like to receive via text message on their cell phones.
An authorization code will then be sent to the person as a text message. Enter the code to complete the sign-up process.
We will offer the following message categories:
* Breaking News Alerts -- get breaking news, school closings and emergency alert information for the area.
* School News -- receive news regarding all five Greene County schools and Union.
* Weather -- Receive local weather alerts for Greene County and other areas.
* Sports News -- Get news and scores from the area high schools.
* Coupons and Offers -- Get valuable coupons and special offers from local business.
The program is a free service. The service is FCC CAN-SPAM compliant and information is kept private.
I hope you enjoy this new service from the Greene County Daily World.
Chris is the general manager/editor for the Greene County Daily World. He can be reached by telephone at 847-4487 or 1-800-947-4487 or by e-mail at email@example.com