JHS-SHS Homecoming Parade: 'Blast from the Past' (9/26/23)
Regional land bank moves forward (9/25/23)According to a press release issued by Project Specialist Jill Kinser, the Indiana Economic Development Corporation (IEDC) and Regional Opportunity Initiatives (ROI) have awarded $1.25 million for the creation of the Indiana Uplands Regional Land Bank...
Apple Festival Queen, Princess pageant to be held Oct. 1 (9/25/23)The 2023 Bloomfield Apple Festival Queen, Princess and court will be decided at the annual pageant, scheduled to be held at 5 p.m. October 1 at the Shawnee Theatre in Bloomfield. Doors will open at 4:30 p.m..The evening promises entertainment, as eight contestants for queen and two for princess perform an opening dance, appear in their most professional business attire for a brief speech onstage, contestant introductions and an intermission followed by the evening gown segment and onstage questions.. ...
Crazy for navy: MSD Shakamak adds coaches to sport newly-approved color (9/25/23)Thursday’s regular meeting of the MSD Shakamak Board of School Trustees included additions of several new coaches and navy as an accessory school color. Spring sports at Shakamak will see several new faces when it comes time to start the season. Athletic Director Dylan Collins, a Shakamak baseball alum, was approved as the varsity baseball coach. ...
Community Notes (9/25/23)Thursday, September 28 Shakamak Pharmacy in Jasonville will hold a free drive-thru flu shot clinic from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.. No appointment is necessary. Shakamak Pharmacy will have regular flu shots available as well as high-dose flu shots for those age 65 and older. The pharmacy is located at 346 E Main St. in Jasonville...
Saron Church holds outdoor sevice, baptisms at Greene Farm in Linton (9/24/23)Saron Church of Linton, led by newly-installed Senior Pastor Ron Haynes, held services outdoors this week, accepting a generous offer by member Dale Greene, who opened up his vast and lush property to the church, including a pond and cabin located at the property’s southeast end...
Economic development discussed at GC Commissioners meeting (9/22/23)1Greene County Economic Development Corporation Executive Director Brianne Jerrels shed light on broadband coverage across the county at the Greene County Commissioners regular meeting on Sept. 19. Jerrels spoke on collaborating with an expert in order to navigate creating a new list of addresses and information from OCRA and the Next Level Connections Broadband grant program...
Community Notes (9/22/23)Community Notes Friday, September 22 Linton Public Library will be having a movie and book discussion at 1 p.m.. Sit back and relax with popcorn, drinks and a movie with a book discussion to follow. Free copies of the selected book are provided at the front desk. Come and join even if you haven’t read the book...
Streets to close for Linton Fall Arts Festival September 30 (9/21/23)The streets surrounding the Carnegie Heritage and Arts Center of Linton will be temporarily closed to traffic from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. for the Linton Fall Arts Festival. This includes the intersections of Main and Vincennes and 1st and Vincennes. 1st Street will be blocked between the library parking lot and the alley behind the Carnegie. ...
Free pet microchips for Greene County pets September 23 and 30 (9/21/23)The Greene County Humane Society (GCHS) recently issued a press release to announce free microchipping for county pets on two Saturdays during the month of September in Linton and in Bloomfield. “According to americanhumane.org, one out of every three pets will go missing at some point in its’ life,” the release begins...
GCDW Staff Bloggers
Donna Rose McCammonDonna Rose McCammon, age 85, of Linton, passed away peacefully on Tuesday, September 26, 2023 at Glenburn Home in Linton. She was born in Sullivan County on July 28, 1938, the daughter of Vane Houpt...
Donald “Donnie” GeeDonald “Donnie” Gee, 63, of Bloomfield, formerly of Loogootee, passed away Sunday, September 10, 2023 at IU Health Bloomington Hospital. He was born October 2, 1959 in Jasper to the late Lloyd and...
Larry Ira SeitzLarry Ira Seitz, 79, of Switz City, formerly of Nashville, passed away on Friday, September 22, 2023, at Glenburn Senior Living in Linton. He was born on February 20, 1944, in Nashville, the son of...
Court News (9/25/23)CRIMINAL CASES Michael L. Edwards, 44, Linton, Level 6 felony intimidation; Level 6 felony invasion of privacy Nicholas C. Dickerson, 52, Jasonville, Class B misdemeanor refusal to aid an officer; Class B misdemeanor disorderly conduct; Class A misdemeanor resisting law enforcement...
Police LogsGreene County Sheriff’s Department Activity Log The Greene County Sheriff’s Department responded to 90 incidents and calls for service from Sept. 21-24, including 10 property damage accidents, two property damages, five animal complaints, one drug investigation, two frauds, four title checks, four threats, four suspicious, two thefts, four warrant services, one residential entry, two alarms, two information, five extra patrols, one personal injury accident, four reckless drivers, three transports, seven assists to the public, three trespasses, six welfare checks, three abandoned vehicles, one road hazard, two unruly subjects, two fights, two domestic disputes, two assists to other departments, two civil disputes, one suicidal subjects, one ems, one criminal mischief and one traffic stop.. ...
Police LogsGreene County Sheriff’s Department Activity Log The Greene County Sheriff’s Department responded to 114 incidents and calls for service from Sept. 15-20, including nine animal complaints, six reckless drivers, three assists to other departments, four welfare checks, six juvenile complaints, one theft, two frauds, two alarms, one domestic dispute, one trespass, eight property damage accidents, two unruly subjects, two residential entries, three drug investigations, 13 suspicious, four transports, seven title checks, two missing persons, one threat, one child custody, one assist to the public, one battery, 12 extra patrols, two ems, one abandoned vehicle, three road hazards, one fight, two harassments, one fire, one atl, one personal injury accident, one warrant service, one civil dispute and eight traffic stops.. ...
- Smith sets school record at Shakamak Invite (9/25/23)
- Soccer sectionals announced as Eastern Greene earns first win in program history (9/25/23)
- Shakamak honors seniors as regular season closes (9/25/23)
- Eastern Greene football falls to Paoli (9/25/23)
- Full steam ahead: Miners cruise to victory (9/22/23)
- Lady Miners take 14th straight victory (9/22/23)
- Bloomfield tennis falls in last regular season match (9/21/23)
- A labor of love for the little ones of Linton
- UPDATED: Hacker resigns as White River Valley Superintendent~Will assume position at Oakland City University early in 2024
- Saron Church holds outdoor sevice, baptisms at Greene Farm in Linton
- Crazy for navy: MSD Shakamak adds coaches to sport newly-approved color
- Autumn amusement approaching with Linton Fall Arts Festival
- Food prices are rising as countries limit exports. Blame climate change, El Nino and Russia's war
- Donald Trump skipped the GOP debate again. This time, his rivals took him on directly
- At US Antarctic base hit by harassment claims, workers are banned from buying alcohol at bars
- NY Attorney General Letitia James has a long history of fighting Trump, other powerful targets
- A government shutdown is nearing this weekend. What does it mean, who's hit and what's next?
- Francona's beloved scooter stolen, stripped as Cleveland's manager gets ready to say goodbye to game
- Moose on the loose in Stockholm subway creates havoc and is shot dead
- A Danish artist who submitted empty frames as artwork is appealing court ruling to repay the cash
- An Abe Lincoln photo made during his 1858 ascendancy has been donated to his museum in Illinois
- Flamingos in Wisconsin? Tropical birds visit Lake Michigan beach in a first for the northern state